Captivation Part 44

Caitlin and Jared were oblivious to everything around them as the kiss grew bolder by the second and their hands and mouths roved without limitation and increasing boldness. Not surprisingly neither Jared nor Caitlin heard the car approach on the gravel driveway.

But they registered the headlights instantly. The car's headlights threw them into silhouette and illuminated Caitlin and Jared with all the impact of stadium floodlights.

Automatically and instinctively Jared spun Caitlin around as he unconsciously tried to shield her from the occupants in the car. He would wonder about his instinct to protect her later, when he had time to think about the fact that despite everything he was still putting her welfare, her reputation, first.

The headlights remained on. A glaring light that felt abrasive as it threw a spotlight on what had been a passionate but private moment. Then the car door opened and they both heard the feet on the gravel, though they couldn't make out the face.

"Caitlin?" Questioned a voice he remembered from the club house. "Is that you?" The voice sounded hesitant, as if the questioner really did not want his conclusion to be accurate.

With a stifled curse, and with sheer luck given her fingers were shaking, Caitlin adjusted her skirt and stepped from behind Jared. Of course she recognized the voice. And she knew that things were about to go pear-shaped. Everything that had felt perfect a few moments ago vanished with the intrusion of unwanted observers.

"Uncle Neil." She gave a quick clearance of her throat when she realized her voice sounded far too husky. But that was the trouble, she still felt as if she was in Jared's arms. Or at least that is where she wanted to be. But without observers around. She coughed quietly again to clear her throat and then attempted to speak again. "What are you doing here?" As if that really mattered. But she hoped it would distract Neil.

She was also relieved. At least her voice sounded nearly normal. Her heart was still hammering, her nerves still fried, her thoughts scattered. She ran clammy hands down her short skirt and hoped she was straightening it out. The last thing she needed was for Neil to lecture her on the state of her attire. She wanted what she'd just shared with Jared to retain that magic, and being lectured about her state of dress by Neil would destroy all vestiges of that magic. It would make it seem seedy and sordid. When in reality it was thrilling, wonderful and unexpected.

"Tricia called." Neil scowled when the scene he'd stumbled on kept replaying in his head. Caitlin was with that man! Jared! What the hell was the matter with her? Didn't she know Jared had a reputation? Neil was tempted to growl at Caitlin. He came a step nearer, recognised the look in Jared's eyes and frowned. Jared was far from pleased to find Neil had no intention of just walking on. Neil had no intention of walking away and leaving Caitlin with this man, without making sure she knew what she was getting into. "More to the point what are you doing with him? Or is that a stupid question .."

"It isn't what it seems." Caitlin mumbled and then wished she hadn't tried to excuse her behaviour. It was exactly what it seemed in terms of she had been kissing Jared. But Neil was making it appear seedy. Caitlin wished she wasn't caught in such a compromising position. Wished that kiss had been allowed to continue. Wished she could look at Jared and see if he felt as shell-shocked as she did.

"Really?" Neil came closer. His body language it did not bode well. A fact confirmed by his next remark, "Either you two were celebrating your engagement or..."

Caitlin reared back as she took on board his insinuation and his intended command. Caitlin was not about to be intimidated, she interrupted Neil before he could complete the statement. "I am way over the age of consent Neil!" She tried to keep it flippant, even as her heartbeat continued to thunder loudly. She would think about the fact she had practically had intercourse standing up and in a public space! That wasn't like her! Not like her at all. She was confident but she wasn't promiscuous. However, she wished she had had a moment to talk with Jared. She wished they hadn't been interrupted before they had talked, just the two of them, to see what they both intended to do about that kiss. But as that word kiss registered in her brain she wished they hadn't stopped. Public or not. She wished they had not been interrupted.