Captivation Part 15

Ten minutes later Caitlin and Nigel were seated in a small cafe about a mile from the clubhouse. Caitlin had ordered coffees and they had taken the seats by the window.

"This is great." She smiled at him hoping he would start to relax. "I was gasping for a drink." She leaned back and sighed in bliss. He said nothing. In fact he did not even acknowledge her.

It was obvious that Nigel was not used to being out with a woman. He was very nervous. His fingers holding the piece of paper were shaking and he was doing everything he could to avoid making eye contact. Nigel kept perusing the list. He didn't have the skills for small talk. And he knew his stutter would get worse because she made him nervous!

"Are you desperate to win this?" Caitlin asked him for want of something to get him to engage in a conversation. Who would be desperate to win a treasure hunt, she wondered.

Nigel looked startled. His eyes widened, as he wondered whether it was a trick question. He'd been coming to these things for years, though he'd missed the last one. But he had never even come close to winning. It wasn't the winning that mattered to him, it was the opportunity to be part of a team. An opportunity to meet people. Even if he rarely said anything to any of them!

"N, no, no, not re, re, really." Nigel swallowed and looked quickly away. His stutter was getting worse. This was going to be his worst ever time at this event.

"Perfect!" Caitlin grinned when he looked at her, his eyes wide as saucers. "So, how about we le just enjoy the coffee, then go back in a little while." Caitlin stated flatly and without a care in the world. She eased lower into the chair and rolled her shoulders to relax. She really wasn't bothered about the actual treasure hunt. She was doing this to appease her father, and Georgia and Elias.

Nigel looked askance. "He, w, won't be ha, ha, happy." The Adonis who made up their numbers was one of those go-getter types. He was also well known. He was a winner. He'd taken himself from the wrong side of the tracks and had made a success of his life. Women drooled. Men envied. He had the kind of life that Nigel aspired to. Jared was not going to be happy if they went back without any of the items on the list. And really, Nigel wasn't sure that he had the nerve to stand up to Jared!

"He?" Of course she knew whom Nigel was talking about, but she pretended ignorance.

"Jared." Nigel murmured.

"And we care, why?" She quirked a brow at Nigel. That had him frowning instantly. Nigel was confused. Didn't all women want to bask in the spotlight of Jared's attention? Shouldn't she be vying with Candy to secure his interest? Surely she would want to impress him? Perhaps she was going for reverse psychology. Or perhaps she was annoyed because Jared had chosen Candy. Whatever the reason, he was surprised by her stance.

"Oh, er..."

"Nigel, Mr I-know-everything D'Olivera, can do what he wants." Caitlin said. Nigel's eyes widened. Ok, maybe she really didn't like the man. That was really surprising. Caitlin shrugged, "We don't have to cow tow to him." She stated succinctly, fully aware that she sounded rather put upon. The fact of the matter was that she was disconcerted by the fact that he was a member of their group.

After the last time they'd met, she was not sure just how to behave around him. He'd rescued her. Her brother in law had thumped him. And she had flounced away without even saying thank you. So to meet, several months later should have diminished any lingering guilt and embarrassment.

But just hearing his name rattled her. Even if she'd pretended to be perfectly at ease in his company.

"B, b but we hh ha, have to ge get something."