Captivation Part 34

Caitlin blinked.

"Why would you make excuses for me?" Jared asked again when she still hadn't said anything after five seconds had elapsed.

Ok, that was the last thing she was expecting to be asked. But he looked sincere, as if he really wanted to know why she would go into bat fro him.

"Why?" Caitlin knew she was caught between a rock and a hard place. She didn't want him to know why she went in to bat for him. And yet, with Doug's feedback, Jared was bound to wonder why she would. Ever since that kiss she knew exactly why. For while she had pretended not to care, that kiss that shown her that she did. It wasn't just a passing fancy. She had feelings for this man.

"Yes. Why? Why are you giving me the benefit of the doubt?" Jared pushed gently. He wanted to know the truth, because it had implications. Douglas was right. Jared did not believe that women like Caitlin would look twice at men like Jared. Not when it came to a long term relationship. So her response was crucial.

"You don't want me to?" She tried to turn the conversation, hoping that she be able to distract him. He seemed earnest, as if her response really mattered.

"Not what I'm asking. I've been a complete bastard and you're still making excuses for me. Why would you do that?" He asked pushing her, hoping she would tell him what he wanted to hear.

"Cause I'm well brought up?" She parried without any hesitation hoping that this at least would derail the conversation. Trust Douglas to tell Jared that she had defended Jared. She hadn't meant to give that much away. Maybe she should lie. Say it was just part of her nature to be considerate. Maybe she could just brazen this out. Try to sound blasé about it all.

"Or you like me." He suggested softly with quiet conviction. Jared was used to women throwing themselves at him, but most of the time he put it down to spur of the moment. He was pretty sure that the ones interested in him now were interested because he ran a successful business. Prior to that he was a guy who was probably worth hanging around for a good time, but not the time you'd want to have kids with. His credentials weren't good. Who in their right mind would want his mother as a grandmother? Most of the women in his life did not see him as a keeper. Probably his fault, in terms of cultivating the image in the first place. But now, now he thought he was at that age! That age when family, wife, children were important. Or at least in his case, they were want he wanted. The only trouble was that the women he thought would make terrific wives were not women who would touch him with a barge pole.

"Yeah, about as much as I'd like to cuddle a skunk." She tried to sound convincing. But she averted her eyes, knowing that they would probably give her away.

"You don't mean that." He accused sounding pretty certain. But beneath that certainty lay an ounce of insecurity, which, for Jared was highly unusual. He was a confident man. He knew what he wanted, and usually went after it. But this, well this was just different. Emotions put this way out of his normal remit of experience.

Before she could reply, John was asking everyone to gather together as he was going to take them into the next room where they would glaze some pots. Caitlin used that as an excuse to try to move a few feet away. But he got in her way.

"Come on." She called airily as she tried to make her way toward the rest of the group. Caitlin thought she sensed a measure of sadness in his eyes. For a second she thought her flippant remark might have actually hurt the man! Then she told herself to stop being fanciful. He was not the type to be hurt by a paltry statement.

Jared now on his feet, decided to take a risk. And with his slightly muddy hands, he leaned forward and his hands framed her face. He had kissed her before she even had time to protest. Then with a grin he leaned away. "See. You like me." Then he picked up his pot and put it alongside hers. Ok, that kiss brought with it a return of confidence. She had kissed him back. Before she'd had a chance to lock down her reaction. She had kissed him back.