Truth or Dare: Chapter 4

A nice blend of prediction and surprise seem to be at the heart of the best art. ~ Wendy Carlos

“Yes, please move that over there.  Now, be careful with that vase, it’s an antique-- watch it!”  

It was my final day here; time for the sob story, boohoo and all.  Tomorrow morning, early morning, we were leaving.  See, proof that my parents love me.  They took the liberty to book the flight as early in the morning as possible so I wouldn’t have to waste any more time crying and moaning around.  How nice.

“Kylie!  Stop moping and start packing up.”  My mom snapped at me, as she came past, guiding the moving people who were currently carrying our fridge.

“I finished, and I‘m tired.”  Throwing my head back, I let out a huge yawn to prove my point, stretching my arms out while I was at it.  Blinking back the tears that came to my eye due to my yawn (I don‘t cry that easily), I watched the commotion with mild interest.  

“Kylie, I don’t see-- Jason!  Don’t you dare drop that!”  She drifted off, turning her attention to my younger brother who was attempting, and failing, to carry a vase.  I groaned, as I got off of the couch I was sitting on and went over to help my brother.

“Give me that.”  I ordered, grabbing one side of the vase from Jason.

“No way, I got this.”  He attempted, trying to sound manly.

“Just give it.”  I snapped impatiently, finally getting it from him.  He sulked away, casting me angry glares.  Ignoring him, I walked over to the moving truck and gently put the vase down.  Despite everything, I have to admit, if I said I wasn’t even a bit excited, I would be lying.  Who knew what California would have in store for me.  Besides, it is beautiful there, and the weather was just pure amazing compared to Vegas.  

“Kylie!  I’m coming through!”  Jason yelled over an even bigger vase.  You see, a while back my parents decided on this wonderful idea to try and run a store.  It didn’t work so well, and we ended up keeping every single little thing in the store.  Let’s just say, we pretty much have vases everywhere.  Would you like one?  

“JASON!”  I screamed running towards him as I saw the vase precariously tip to the side.  “IF YOU DROP THAT, MOM WILL KILL US, BOTH!”  Unable to do anything, I watched, horrified, as the vase fell onto the ground with a loud bang.  For a long, silent moment, me and my brother stared at each other, then at the vase that was already shattered into thousands of pieces.

“Jason…”  I started, ultimately frantic.

“Oopsie daisies.”  He frowned sweetly covering his mouth and trying his best to give me the innocent look.  “My bad.  I accidentally dropped the vase…”

“WHAT DID I TELL YOU?  GREAT, NOW WE BOTH ARE IN TROUBLE!”  I screamed, ignoring his blameless look.

“What’s going on--”  My mom came into the crime scene, gasping at the sight of the broken vase.  She gave us the ultimate ‘Mother-Glare’, looking from me to Jason and back to me again.  “Who did this?”  She asked through gritted teeth.  I stared pointedly at Jason, who looked at me as if I were the one who did the crime.

“Jason…”  My mom started in Chinese, which meant she was very, very mad.  “Didn’t I tell you to not carry the big vases.”

“Yes, mother,”  He whimpered, hiding under her glare, “I just wanted to help.  I thought… I thought I could help.”

My mom let out a huge sigh, “Kylie, you and Jason go over to Elena’s house and wait there.  I will come and get you when we are done packing.”  she said tightly leaving no room for argument, not that I planned to anyways.  Nodding I grabbed a very relieved looking Jason and headed towards Elena’s house.