Truth or Dare: Chapter 26

It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave.  ~Tupak Shakur

I knelt on the floor, next to my locker, feeling the excitement buzz through the student body as they jostled towards the exit.  As I quickly turned the combination code, I heard a distinct running noise in the background coming towards my direction.  I raised my eyebrows at the immaturity of some people in high school, shaking my head in amusement as the noise abruptly stopped, probably some person whose super excited for--

I started as I felt someone throw their arms around me in elation.  Startled, I jumped around to come face to face with a very happy Chez and a bemused Aiden peering down at me.  I rolled my eyes as I realized those were the ‘super excited people’ running through the hallways.  

“Hey,”  I greeted.

“Aren’t you a bit excited?”  Chez grinned, straightening up.

“No, I love waking up early for school.”  I said sarcastically, grabbing my textbooks from my locker.

“I don’t, because I’m a vampire,” Aiden declared, letting out a small growling noise.  

“You sound like a cat,”  I smiled with innocence evident through my voice.

Aiden narrowed his eyes at me, as Chez nodded her approval, “I totally agree.”

“I think I sound threatening,”  Aiden made another snarling noise.  

“In your wildest--ouch!”  I cried out in pain as I bumped my head heavily against the locker above me, dropping my textbooks on my foot.  Wincing at my clumsiness, I knelt back down to pick up my books.

“Holy crap, I’m sorry!”  the girl, whose locker was above me, quickly apologize, kneeling down to help me pick up a loose paper that fell out of my textbook.

I smiled embarrassed, rubbing my head where I bumped it, “It’s fine.”

“Here’s your paper,”  she handed to me.

“Thanks,”  I grabbed it from her, walking towards the front of the school, ignoring the exchanges going on behind me between Aiden and Chez.

“Smooth,”  Aiden smirked, catching up to me.

“Thanks.”

“If you need an ice pack, Aiden’s vampire skin can help,”  Chez offered all too sweetly.

I stopped suddenly and about faced towards Chez’s direction, “You give the most flattering offers.”  She grinned, guilt written all over her face.

“What can I say?”  she shrugged modestly and grabbed my hand,  pulling me towards the exit with a slight spring in her step.  “Hurry up, Aiden,”  she called back to her boyfriend, who at those words, immediately proceeded to slow down,  “we need to get some of this fresh spring air.”  Once we stepped outside, she breathed in deeply and then exhaled as noisily as possible.

“Goodness, you sound like you’re relieving stress.”

“Trust me, before you came, my stress level was this,”  she flattened her hand against the concrete.  “Now, it’s this,”  she brought her hand a couple inches above my head.  “So, Spring Break is great for me.”

“Wow, thanks, you’re too kind,”  I retorted as Aiden burst out the front door.

“Spring Break!”  he threw his arms around Chez and lightly kissed her.  Politely, I averted my gaze, pretending to be interested in a certain group of students milling around the parking lot.  I narrowed my eyes as I realized who was in that group: Ever, Jessica, and Becca.  I saw Ever cast a look towards me, her eyes holding something I couldn’t explain.  Was that triumph?  Feeling uneasy, I shrugged it off as nothing, instead turning my attention towards Chris and Dustin, who were making their way towards us.