Truth or Dare: Chapter 22

Please don't lie to me, unless you're absolutely sure I'll never find out the truth.  ~Ashleigh Brilliant

“I know we were perfect.”  I barely suppressed a gasp as the voice floated into my hearing.  Ethan, I thought dizzily sinking to the ground.

“Were.  That’s the key word.”  Another familiar voice responded.  Ever, shakily I pinched myself making sure this wasn’t a dream.  Make that a nightmare.  “What happened between us?”  Ever asked, sounding a bit bitter and yet curious at the same time.  No, I took in several deep breaths trying to calm myself, no, no, no.  Ever and Ethan went out?  Was that the huge secret?

“I don’t know.”  Ethan sounded a bit tense.  

“You should just tell--”

Ethan must have placed a hand over Ever’s mouth because I heard a muffled cry and then a hushed whisper in which I couldn’t hear.  She immediately fell quiet.  I held my breath nervously wondering if they heard me; my mind was spinning from all I heard.  I wrinkled my eyebrows in confusion feeling slightly lightheaded.  What in the world is going on?  “I can’t!”  Ethan cried in frustration and I relaxed a bit, knowing that they still hadn’t heard me.  Don’t get me wrong, I hate spying on friends, but this was okay, right?  I deserve to know even if it means snooping on my friends.  Before I could debate upon the ethical morals of doing just that, I heard a loud thump and jumped a little into the air.

“Sorry, Mrs.  Brute.”  I heard Ever apologize.

“No need.”  Mrs. Brute replied back, then walked away, heels clacking, in the opposite direction. 

There was a long silence before Ever began again, “I don’t see why not?”

Ethan gave a loud huff and dropped his voice lower, “Don’t you see?  If she finds out things are going to be really awkward.  Besides, when I made that,”  he paused as if searching around for a word.  “That promise, I wasn’t thinking straight.”

“When are you ever?”  Ever grumbled.

“Look, Ever, it was fun okay?”  Ethan said after a while.  Fun?  I clenched and unclenched my hands that were now sweating profusely.  What was fun?  Nasty thoughts ran through my head and I shook them away as ridiculous.  “But, I don’t think we are ever going to work out.”

What the--

“I know that!”  Ever raised her voice a bit.  “But you shouldn’t hide this secret any longer.  Eventually she will find out, and when she does, you are going to be in huge trouble!  Don’t you get it?  You need to stop treating girls as if they have no feelings.  You practically use them.”

“Shut the (Insert a word of your choice here) up!”  I heard Ethan shout, and I gave a little startled jump.  Another long pause happened, and I wondered whether they could have possibly heard me again.  I leaned back against the wall, confusion and anger muddling my thoughts.  I let out a loud huff not even caring if they heard me, what in the world, he‘s using me?  “I don’t.”  Ethan finally said giving a long drawn out sigh.

“Yes you do.”  Ever said firmly sounding unfazed by Ethan’s sudden outburst.  “And you need to stop.”

“No I don’t.  Not after…”  he drifted off into a whisper.  Suddenly, my phone made a loud vibrating sound and shocked out of my thoughts, I picked it up realizing that it was a call from Aiden that I missed.  Chastising myself about forgetting I was suppose to meet him, I quickly stood up, my mind still half dazed about the conversation I heard.