Truth or Dare: Chapter 34

***A/N: Hey, I know this is a short chapter, but this and the next (which I promise will be much longer) will hopefully pull at your heart strings.  You'll see what I mean.  Enjoy(:

<-- Vote?  Comment vv?

************************************************************************************************************

All my life, my heart has yearned for a thing I cannot name.  ~ Andre Breton

I can’t lie.  In fact, I won’t lie.  I’ll be dead on honest with my emotions. 

I was scared out of my wits.

Literally.

How often do you see Ethan White looking white as a ghost?  How often do you see him trembling like a sheet of paper ready to flutter away any second?  

How often do you see him serious?

Never.

I had a right to be scared.

“I’m sorry,”  he mumbled under his breath for the infinite time, leading me further and further away from the group who were looking at us curiously.  Helplessly and a bit frustrated, I dug my heels into the ground, bringing us to a complete stop. 

Silence.

He turned around to look at me for the first time; his eyes held an expression I couldn’t decipher at that time.  Later I would learn that it was reluctance.

In my mind flashed two words, two random words, yet they held a certain significance.  Truth or Dare.  Truthfully, I was scared beyond what could possibly be described.  Dare, do I dare to ask him?  Do I dare to tell him the feelings I was feeling right now.  I’d pick yes to the first one.  Maybe if I had chosen the second one, maybe things would have been different.

“Ethan,”  I demanded shakily, refusing to budge a muscle, “will you just hurry up and tell me what’s going on?”

“I-I can’t,”  he stammered.  

“Why not?”  At this point, my frustration level was raising increasingly along with my feelings of confusion and nervousness.  What could have possibly broken him down this much?  Grinding my teeth in determination, I mentally prepared myself for a long talk.  Or so I thought.

“Because,”  Ethan pleaded, his eyes flashing with signs of forgiveness.  Wait, forgiveness?  “Just let us go a bit further.”

Biting the insides of my cheeks from frustration, I fumed, “No, tell me right now.  This instant.”

“Please,”  he begged.

“No,”  I refused stubbornly, crossing my arms across my chest, “whatever you need to tell me can be told right now.”

“A bit further,”  he muttered almost as if under a trance and more to himself than anyone else.  He then turned on his heels and slumped away.  Groaning under my breath, I hurried to up catch up to him, my minds flashing with thoughts that were indescribable.  The only word I could possibly dredge up with confusion.  Confusion and anxiety.  Yes, that was it; I was anxious.

Lost in my thoughts, I barely noticed that Ethan had stopped walking until I nearly bumped into him.  Sheepishly, I backed up a bit, eyeing our surroundings.  I wasn’t sure what exact area we were in.  All I knew was that we were near a water park with kids screaming every time the buckets dumped water on top of them.  The scene just seemed so perfect.  Once again I was reminded: this is the happiest place on Earth.  Nothing bad is suppose to happen here.  Nothing.