Truth or Dare: Chapter 21

What is love? Love is when one person knows all of your secrets... your deepest, darkest, most dreadful secrets of which no one else in the world knows... and yet in the end, that one person does not think any less of you; even if the rest of the world does.  ~ Unknown

The moment I walked into school of Monday, two days after Sadies, I honestly expected a whole bunch of pointing and muttering.  Normally, when I take wild guesses like this, I am wrong.  To my horror, I was completely correct.  And worse of all, I still couldn’t shake off the feeling I was having about Ethan.  The bad feeling that is.  He’s acting like it’s all my fault I missed the dance.  Sure, it’s partly my fault but it’s not like I decided to skip it anyways.  Letting out a frustrated sigh, I laid my head down upon the desk dejectedly feeling hollow on the inside.  And why is it such a big deal any--

“Miss Verita, honestly, are my lectures that monotonous?”  A voice snapped me out of my daydream.  I hastily brought my head up and tried to gain back that look that showed I was paying attention.

“Uh, yes Mrs. Brute.”  I quickly replied back, ignoring the very unhappy Ethan who just so happened to be glowering at me.  What is his problem?

“Really?  You find it mundane?”  She looked at me sternly, ignoring the obvious giggles going around the room.  Immediately, I snapped my head up, realizing I said something wrong.  Quickly, I replayed the conversation in my head and inwardly groan as I realized I just directly told Mrs. Brute I thought her lessons were boring or ‘monotonous’ as she likes to put it.

“I meant to say no!”  I quickly apologized, feeling the heat creep up my face.  “I mean, yes meaning I heard you and no meaning I don’t find it boring.”   Unfortunately, that skeptical look stayed on her face, and I winced inwardly at my stupid mistake.

“So then you do understand what we are currently discussing?”  she asked.

“Yes.”  I fibbed, crossing my fingers under the desk and hoping she would just leave me alone.  Of all the days she decides to pick on me, it always has to be the one I’m not paying attention.

“Magnificent, then I’m sure you wouldn’t mind allocating with the class.”  she took a step back and motioned for me to stand up.  For a moment, I gawked at her in surprise, my mouth nearly dropping to the floor.  Wha-- That was torture, and I’m nearly a hundred percent sure torture was not allowed in schools.  I felt for sure that if I just turned my head slightly, I would see everyone silently laughing at me.

Mrs. Brute cleared her throat, looking expectantly at me.  I sheepishly smiled back, racking my brain to come up with anything.  Is it only me, or does everyone’s brain take the worse time for a nap?  “I believe,”  I started with my voice shooting up two octaves and dragging out every letter to give myself more time to think.  “We were discussing our projects?”  I tried hopelessly.  Mrs. Brute gaped at me, her mouth opening and closing without a sound.  In fact, she looked quite stiff standing up there.  Shoot, I thought frantically, did I say the wrong thing?  

“Why, yes,”  Mrs. Brute said faintly after regaining her composure.  “We were talking about the project.”  I felt a wave of relief crash over my body.  Mentally, I thanked myself for guessing so well.  Forcing my face into a somewhat confident façade, I sat up straighter and grabbed a hold of my pencil, pretending to wait for her to continue.

Mrs. Brute gave a little sigh, “As Kylie aforementioned, I was discussing how we are going to congregate in pairs today and commence on the assignment.”  My blood froze at this line.  Me working with Ethan?  At this time, when it is so awkward?  Unfortunately, Mrs. Brute obviously didn’t catch the note that Ethan and I weren‘t exactly on good terms and continued, “You have the complete class period to do so.  You are to converse about this project and this project only, nothing else.  If you have any inquiries, feel free to ask me.”