Truth or Dare: Chapter 25

Let's play truth or dare... or just dare, because nobody tells the truth anymore.  ~One Tree Hill

“Truth or Dare?”  Chez asked the question, looking straight at me and in a sort of half-crazed way.  Her eyes were dancing with an eagerness that made my stomach churn with fear.  Who knew a question could cause such feelings?  I gulped as ten pairs of eyes turned towards me simultaneously as if coordinated.  

Yup, I didn’t make a mistake counting; ten pairs of eyes did turn towards me.  Our entire group, including Jessica, Becca, and two other girls I never met before were invited to the party.  Yea, Jessica and Becca.  Yippee for them.  Hip-hip hooray.  Throws confetti.  And, don’t worry, the observation that girls outnumbered guys, seven to four, didn’t escape me.  If my enthusiasm isn’t coming across correctly, pardon me, I do believe I’m catching a cold and can’t express it well enough.

We were at a party, Ethan’s fifteenth birthday party to be exact.  All eleven of us were sitting in the circle in Ethan‘s room (which I noticed he took the time to clean), doing an intense game of Truth or Dare, staring each other down and wondering who would give the easiest questions.

“Ah well,”  I stammered, feeling my cheeks flame up from the attention, “I pick…”  I drifted off, trying to come up with something.  I could either pick truth and risk the chance of revealing something embarrassing (then again I could lie but that would just aid my guilty conscience) or pick dare and risk doing something embarrassing.  From that crazed look I was getting, it was safe to assume it had something to do with Ethan.

“You pick?”  Jessica said, observing her manicured nails impatiently.

“Yea, you pick?”  Becca copied.

I rolled my eyes amusingly at their attempt to annoy me, and because of that, I was sure to take and extra one minute on deciding my fate.  “I pick truth.”  I finally said confidently, deciding to go with the less risky one.  I literally saw everyone’s facial expression fall to one of disappointment, which made me feel all the more relieved I had taken the extra safety precautions to pick truth.  

“You’re boring.”  Ethan said grumpily.

I raised an eyebrow, “So you guys were planning on daring me to do something, huh?”  I glanced around the circle, taking in Chez’s, Aiden’s, and Chris’s guilty expressions.  Dustin shrugged innocently, but I swear I saw a smile creep onto his face.  Shaking my head in bemusement, I bit back a smile, “What’s my truth?” 

“Hmm,”  Chez thought for several long moments.  My heart silently pounded against my chest as I awaited her verdict.  “Would you kiss Ethan for a life size poster of Alex Pettyfer, shirtless?”

I gawked at her for several long minutes. “Huh?”  I said stupidly, not sure I heard the question correctly.  How was I suppose to answer something like that?

“I asked,”  Chez started again, this time talking extremely slow, “would you kiss Ethan for a life size poster of Alex Pettyfer without his shirt?  Think, six-pack.”  

My cheeks flushed as I felt all eyes turn on me.  I caught Ethan’s slightly triumph glance and narrowed my eyes, wondering if they planned all this.  Nervously, I chewed on the bottom of my lips, clenching my teeth, feeling extremely unwilling to answer this question.

Chez lightly cleared her throat, as if reminding me that I had to answer, and smiled innocently at me.  I glared daggers at her, wishing, if anything, she would just ask any question besides anything that involved picking between Ethan and something else.