Chapter 28

A week and a half later..

"Are you alright mummy?" Kenny asked as I cooked dinner. My mind has been so occupied. Niall went to the gym to blow off steam, lately he has been doing that more and more. It seemed like lately we had been drifting from each other. And I hated it, and I knew it was my fault. I was so busy with Kenny and my mom was talking of divorce it had been a long few weeks.

I blinked, "Yeah baby. I am. Grilled cheese and soup is almost ready."

"I'm not hungry." I bent down to look at him, "Baby, you haven't eaten in a while."

He shrugged, "I just don't feel hungry anymore."

I nodded with a sad smiled, "Okay. Whatever you want Kenny. I love you."

He smiled, a small dimple appeared on the right side of his mouth, "I love you too mummy."

I pulled him in for a hug, I closed my eyes. My mind started to drift off to a world without him. And it was cold and cruel. So I pulled away from those thoughts.

"Mummy." Kenny said into my shoulder.

"Yes?" I touched his soft head.

"Can we decorate for Christmas tonight?"

"Of course." I smiled it was only December 2nd and I don't usually decorate till the 10th, but I'd make an exception for my boy.

"Will Niall be home?" Kenny asked.

I pulled a smile, "Yeah he will. Don't you worry. How about you go get in jammies and we will pull out decorations?"

His eyes lit up, "OK!" And he dashed off to his room.

I stood up and turned off the stove. Niall had put all the decorations in my room in the closet. And the tree was under his bed in a box.

I walked out of the kitchen and turned on the TV to Christmas music. I smiled as I watched Kenny come into the room. He was so excited, just like I had been when I was a kid.

We started to untangle lights and plugged them in to make sure that they worked. I began to assemble the small tree, "Mum, what's your favorite Christmas moment?"

"Well, I was 14 years old and my we lived America. It snowed a lot but for some reason that winter we didn't get much. And when Grammy and Papie asked what I wished from Santa, I just wanted snow. I prayed every night for snow. It just didn't feel like Christmas without it." I spoke to him.

"Did it snow?" He questioned.

I nodded, "Yeah, it did. I thought it was a Christmas miracle."

"What's a miracle?" He tried to say but it came out as muracle.

"It's-" I frowned as I tried to grasp what I thought it was, "Something unexpected that changes everything."

"Is it bad or good?"

"Always good. You're a perfect example." He blushed as he hung ornaments too close together. But I left him continue.

When the tree was finally up, Kenny rubbed at his eyes, "I'm tired."

"Let's get you to bed, baby." I picked him up and I carried him to his room. It was bright blue with grey whales painted on his walls. He had recently fell in love with the giant creature. But his love for Dr. Suess had not yet diminished. There was a cat in the hat sitting at the bottom of the ocean painted walls, leaning against a rock reading a book. There was red fish, blue fish, and green fish. Thing one and two were fishing on the docks.

I laid him on his bed, I kissed his head. Soft and delicate. I still remember the first night I got him to sleep.

"Leonora?" My mom questioned as she came into Kenny's nursery. I looked at her frantic, the baby in my arms wailing.