Chapter 9

An hour later, Niall, Kenny, and I were on the couch, halfway through the Cat In the Hat. Kenny was asleep in my arms and Niall sat next to me. I contiuned to stroke Kenny's back, feeling his small heartbeat. 

Sorry, I mouthed at Niall. 

He smiled, For what? He mouthed back. 

I pointed at Kenny. Niall shook his head. "Mum." Kenny lifted up his head. 

"What baby? Are you okay?" I asked. 

He rubbed his eyes, "I want to go to sleep in my room." 

I nodded, "Okay, I'll-"

"No, I want Niall to take me." He said. "Oh no, Ken. Niall-"

"Can take you." Niall said, "I got him." Kenny crawled over to him adn latched onto him. Niall smiled as he disappeared down the hallway. I bit my lip as I debated how to tell Niall about Kenny. 

Do I just come out and say it? Hey Niall, my son has lung cancer. The doctor's don't suspect he'll live long. 

Do I lie? He's not sick. I lied. 

Just tell him the truth without being too harsh. I heard talking from Kenny's room. I stood up from the couch and tip-toed to the room. 

"Say, I do like green eggs and ham, Sam-I-Am." I heard Niall say. 

As he continued to read the last of the pages, I leaned up against the wall. I peered into the room, Niall was in Kenny's bed and Kenny laid next to him. I smiled as I crossed my arms. It warmed my heart to see Niall and Kenny getting along really well. 

"Have you ever eaten green eggs and ham before?" Niall asked. 

Kenny shook his head, "No, that sounds gross. Have you?" 

"Plenty of times. It's not as bad as you think."

"Do you know how to make it?" Niall nodded. "Will you make it for me?"

"I'll make you a deal if you come to my next match, I'll cook you green eggs and ham."

"Really?! Deal!! MUM, come quick!" He yelled. 

I poked my head in, "Yes, baby?"

"Niall is going to make me green eggs and ham!" Kenny sat up.

"I heard bud." I smiled as I stepped into the room.

"Spy much?" Niall winked. I laughed, "Alright, bedtime now."

Kenny laid back down, Niall crawled off of the bed after saying goodnight. I walked over to Kenny and kissed his forehead.

"I love you."

"I know mum. I love you more." He smiled. "And I love you most." I followed Niall out of the room and closed Kenny's door.

I turned off the TV, and began straitening up. "Nora?"

I took a deep breath, "yes?"

"Are you okay?" He asked.

I looked at him, "I'm fine. Now, you wanted to know about Kenny. He's sick. Very sick."

Niall went pale, he looked as if he were to cry, he took off his snapback. "What?"

"Kenny has lung cancer, Niall. That's why he has hardly any hair, he coughs up blood, he cries when his chest hurts. Also why he doesn't have long."

Niall sat down on the couch, speechless. "Nora, I had no idea. I am so-" Tears were evident in his voice.

I sat next to him, "Niall its okay."

He looked up at me, tears falling from his face, "Nora, it's not."

"But it will be." I said as I hugged him. His tears stained my shoulder.

A/n: Sorry for the crappy update! I am updating slowly due to some things that have been popping up. Thank you to all my loyal readers. I love you!

~T