One Shot #5 - First Things First

Lola Nidora's words hit home. Funny how reel and real seamlessly merge, and the KS scripts seemed to be art imitating life. Alden and Maine were put on the spot with her questions but the words of wisdom enlightened him. There was only one thing left to do. First things first, he needed to clear things up with Maine.

The shoot was already packing up; they were done for the day. Maine was gathering her notes and script, already changed into jeans, sneakers and a pink top. Amazing how she still looked fresh after a busy day. She smiled as he approached.

"Hey." He said, tucking a stray lock of hair behind her ear. "Got a few minutes?"

She nodded and motioned to load her things in the van before they talked. As she approached, he reached for her hand and led her to a park bench, away from the cast and crew.

"Is something bothering you?" Maine asked, looking at him curiously. They settled into the bench with his arm looped through hers, their fingers intertwined. He looked at their hands, not knowing how to start.

"Maine," he said, clearing his throat. "Does this bother you?" He asked, raising their joined hands. She looked at their hands, taking her time to reply.

"Ok, let me rephrase that. Ok lang ba sayo na nilalambing kita?" She removed her hand from his. Bad sign.

"Ooo..ok lang I guess, but it does make me wonder why you do it." She wasn't looking at him.

"Isn't it obvious?" He was surprised with her answer.

"Huh? Obvious na ano? " She looked genuinely perplexed. "You know Alden, I would never assume anything, unless you tell me."

"So...assuming na we're not discussing this now, you'd let me continue doing these things?"

"Teka, we talked last Saturday, remember? I did say you went overboard?" She was looking at him now, moving slightly away from him. He pulled her back, holding her hand again. Having her close soothed him.

"I know. Your words, Lola Nidora's, I was thinking hard last night." He squeezed her hand and kissed it. " I really like you Maine." There, he said it.

For the longest time, she was quiet and it scared him. She took out her phone and started texting. Texting? At a time like this when he wore his heart on his sleeve. She was smiling by the time she was done.

A message alert from his phone disrupted the silence. Twice, two messages, one after another. He looked at her questioningly, as she motioned for him to check his phone. The messages were from her. His heart beat faster when he read what she sent, one message, sent twice.

"Ano to?" He asked although he knew. Like her, he didn't want to assume.

"You wanted my address diba? Or was that part of the script?" She was smiling naughtily, like the cat that got the cream.

"Yan ha, twice sent to be sure you got it. Sa Sunday, six pm. Don't be late." Bossy, sexy Maine, wrapping him around her finger again. How did she know that he was ready to face her family in their turf? Smart-ass but he liked it.

And at that moment, he realized he more than just liked her.