One Shot #8 - Relationship Goal

It was barely six in the morning when he picked her up, a gleeful smile lighting up his handsome face, reminding her of Christmas. He was such a baby, so easy to please, so difficult to resist. She may regret her decision to give in, but seeing him this happy was worth the pain and effort.

"Good morning, baby, "He said cheerfully, reaching for her bags and arranging them in the back seat. He reached for her hand and pulled her closer to him to kiss her cheek. As he pulled away from her, their cheeks touched, his stubble tickled her. She caressed his face and smiled.

"Cheerful this morning, aren't we?" She said with a smirk, while admiring him. Truth be told, she'd rather they just stay home, snuggle under a blanket and enjoy a DVD marathon.

"Of course! Because finally, napapayag kita mag-gym." Shutting the door on her side, he walked to the driver side of the car, got in and maneuvered the car out of the driveway.

"Kulit mo eh, but I'm warning you ha, I have a feeling I won't like it. I'd rather catch up on sleep."

"Try it out first before you say you won't like it. Believe me, you'll feel great."

Maine smiled as she looked at him fondly. She was thankful for this lull period to do things together. After a week, they would be going back to their crazy schedules again, so waking up early to spend quality time with her boyfriend was not so bad. She still couldn't believe her luck. How can this magnificent specimen of a man fall for her, someone she had admired from afar for so long? Not even her wildest dreams included meeting him in the flesh, much less having him for a boyfriend. It was more than his pambansang bae status that awed her. That someone so gentle, loving, funny and adorable would fall for plain simple her never ceased to amaze her. His good looks were just icing on the cake. With nuts and sprinkles added.

"What are you smiling at?" He asked. "Excited ka rin magworkout eh. Aminin."

"What?! No way. I'm just being a good girlfriend who wants to spend time with her hunky boyfriend. And stop looking at me, baka mabangga tayo." She playfully shoved his jaw to turn his face front.

The gym was almost empty, with just a few members in the lounge area, chatting while chugging coffee. Alden introduced her to one of the female trainers, who accompanied her to the locker rooms. She was given a tour of the area. By the time they finished, Alden was finished with his warm-up and was doing bicep curls with mean looking dumbbells. She was admiring the ripple of muscles on his arms and shoulders, when he suddenly winked knowingly at her.

He caught her staring at him again, but he was equally thrilled, never filled with conceit. For all the fame and recognition he got, he was still just a man smitten. That someone loved by so many would choose him, and willingly subject herself to all the scrutiny and lack of privacy while still adjusting to her own fame was sweetness personified.

His eyes never left her though he continued with his workout. He watched her warm up on the treadmill, perform three rounds of jumping jacks, squats and lunges, smiling as he saw her determined face. Maine was like that, she always put her all into things she did.

Someone tapped his shoulder. "Papi, baka naman matunaw." Jerald joked, poking him in his side. He clapped Jerald on the shoulder and took a short break. He heard a squeal and saw Valeen running towards Maine.

By the time he was done, he approached the trainer and took over training Maine. They did planks together facing each other, making funny faces at each other. He picked a small kettlebell and showed her the right way to swing it. Through it all, she took instructions seriously and worked hard with the moves.

He was proud of her for not complaining, even when he knew some of the moves were a struggle for her. He hugged her sweaty and all and kissed her on the forehead. A few whoops were heard, they good-naturedly waved at people who were taking photos.

After getting showered and changed, they got into the car. Alden started the car and switched on the aircon and radio. He turned to her and smiled, tucking a stray lock of hair behind her ear. With his hand cradling her jaw, he gently pulled her closer for a kiss. The kiss deepened and lasted longer than he intended, but Maine was not protesting. Reluctantly he pulled away.

"Thank you," He said, unable to resist kissing her one more time.

"For what?" She asked, puzzled.

"For working out with me. I know it's not your thing but you came anyway. I like how you made the effort."

She smiled slowly, it was like that Rejoice commercial playing, that radiant heart-stopping smile. She held his right hand in both of her hands and kissed his palm, lifting it up to her cheek. Just as he expected her to say something sweet, she said something else.

"Gutom na ko, " She said, playfully pinching his nose.

The journey just started but he liked where it was going.