One Shot #12 - Life Imitates Art

(Photocredit : Screen grab from Maine Mendoza's Snapchat Update)

It was their second monthsary in a few days. RJ knew how creative Maine was with planning surprises. On their first monthsary, he didn't expect to see her because she was with her family celebrating the holidays in Japan. They had a few glorious days together before she left, promoting their movie in Cebu and Davao, and riding the MMFF Movie Float through Manila. But she arrived a day after their real monthsary, a Thursday, which happened to be their reel weeksary.

It was a crazy, hectic day for them both; he was busy with rehearsals for the GMA 2016 New Year Countdown, while she had just arrived in Manila mid-afternoon. Minutes before his song number, she surprised him by showing up, albeit hidden in the open parking area. She smiled gleefully at his surprise, not expecting to be with her at that moment. They were together throughout the countdown, the sweetest New Year celebration he ever experienced. By the time he sang, it was raining but he didn't care, he was happy.

This time, he wanted to outdo her; he also had a few tricks of his own. It would be a challenge with their tight schedules but for the first time in his career, he was going to defy his schedule to make time for her. It was one of her concerns when they talked about their special relationship.

Dubbing duties were finally over. Maine was a bit sorry that work on the movie was done. She had a blast doing the movie, working with Ms. Ai-Ai and Bossing was a once in a lifetime experience. Alden was the most supportive and gentle partner she could ever ask for. It was amazing how fast things fell into place for both of them, not only professionally, but personally as well. Alden made time for her, respected her desire for him to get to know her family better. Twice he already spent time with her family in Bulacan, impressing even her father, who initially doubted his intentions.

Her phone buzzed, signaling a call from Alden. She picked up at the third ring.

"Den, what's up?"

"I'm done with my shoot, how 'bout you?"

"Done with dubbing too."

"Where you headed?"

"Condo. We have EB tomorrow so I'll just spend the night here than go all the way to Bulacan."

"Ok, I'm almost there. I'll take you home."

"But my driver—" Click. The line went dead. "Is here." She finished belatedly. Collecting her things, she went down to the parking area and instructed the driver to head home. Alden's van was entering the compound as she finished talking to her driver. He got down and pulled open the passenger door for her, bussing her on the cheek.

They were quiet throughout the drive, mostly due to fatigue. But their minds were busy thinking. Maine wondered why Alden didn't just go home and grab some sleep. Alden was busy rehearsing in his mind what he wanted for days to say to Maine, hoping the right words got out so he wouldn't mess it all up.

They finally got to Maine's condo. It was a small building with just five floors, with a driveway that goes all the way to the rooftop for parking of the top floor tenants. APT Entertainment, the company that handles Maine, purchased the whole fifth level for its talents to use when necessary. Currently, they provided one of the units for Maine, to allow her more time to rest rather than having her drive all the way to and from Bulacan after working late.

Alden switched off the engine and disengaged his seatbelt, then turned to Maine to help her with hers. Maine looked at him questioningly.

"Maine," Alden began, clearing his throat nervously. "I guess you're wondering what's up."