One Shot #10 - One Step Closer

"MAY MGA NAG-ADVICE LANG PO SA AKIN BEFORE NA PAG NAG-A-ACT PO, KAILANGAN DAMHIN KO ANG EKSENA. DAPAT HINDI LALABAS NA INAARTE KO LANG SIYA. DAPAT DAMHIN KO NA AKO TALAGA 'YONG NASA SITUATION, NA CHARACTER KO 'YON. PARA NATURAL DIN PO ANG LABAS SA EKSENA PO."

---Excerpt from Maine Mendoza interview for ALDUB FEVER GOES ON, Yes Magazine January 2016 Issue, Produced by Anna Pingol, Text by Jocelyn T. Valle

Photo Credit :

My Bebe Love BTS Maiden 2nd Shooting Day, aldubmaidenheaven.wordpress.com

____________________________________________________________________________________

The filmfest was over, and Maine won an award for her performance. She wanted so much to watch the movie and savor it without anyone interrupting her, just so she could objectively critique her performance.

On an impulse, Maine had worn her pixie cut wig, some glasses and a jacket, and caught the last full show of My Bebe Love alone. The theatre was not full but for a movie showing on its third week, there was still a good crowd, considering it was the last full show. Armed with popcorn and Coke, she settled on the lazyboy seat and watched. It was surreal, watching herself as though she was watching someone else. People responded well to the movie, no violent reactions to any of her sequences.

Finally, the closing credits of the movie flashed onscreen. Maine felt good about the movie, especially when people around her were so appreciative of certain scenes, especially the bloopers. One blooper particularly brought to mind that day she and Alden started getting closer. She still cringed at the remembrance of that moment, when finally, awkwardness paved a way for them to get closer.

"CUT!" Direk Joey Javier Reyes yelled. "Good take guys. Ok break muna tayo. Sequence 30 tayo next. Shoot na natin lahat ng outdoor scenes habang maliwanag pa. Baklas na tayo dito, lipat na sa may al fresco area. Maine, Alden, grab some lunch and get changed. We'll resume at the al fresco area na."

Maine felt her cheeks burning. They were shooting the McDonald's date scene; Alden was seated across her, looking at her with a naughty smile. The scene was supposedly a secret date of their characters Dondi and Anna. In the scene, while having a conversation, Dondi's hand would inch closer to Anna's. Maine as Anna was supposed to berate him for taking such liberty. Supposed to, was the operative term but dang, she forgot her lines! The moment Alden's hand covered hers, she looked into his wicked, unblinking eyes and went blank, with a stupid smile on her face. The crew teased them, there was a lot of cheering going on. She good-naturedly laughed, they shot the scene again and finally got it right.

"Tapos na yung take, wag mo na ko titigan." She said jokingly while mentally imagining how she looked. She hoped her hair was in place, no catsup stains on her face or teeth. She suddenly remembered another sequence they shot earlier where she wiped off catsup from his mouth. The sequence took three takes, her right hand trembled on the first take, totally smudged the catsup on his mouth on the second but they both finally got a good take on the third. She remembered the faint feel of stubble on his upper lip, surprising her because he always appeared so clean cut.

He was still looking at her, smiling. "Huy Alden, ano ba?" She reached across and pushed his face away, laughing. He caught her hand and held it, laughing at her reaction.

"Bat di ka makatingin sakin?"

"Shy ako eh."

"No kidding? Dubsmash queen, shy?"

"Eeehhhh. Shy naman ako talaga ah."

She hazarded a glance at him. Damn, he was still looking at her. She looked away and pulled her hand back, folding her arms protectively in front of her. Was he making fun of her?

It was a sunny day, perfect to spend time outdoors. After the break they would be shooting Sequence 30 outside the mall. It was a long day ahead, with more than five locations within the mall to shoot. This meant five costume changes and make-up retouches.

A platter of food materialized in front of her. Alden had gotten her some food and sat beside her, motioning his PA, Mama Tenten, to lay down the rest of the food and drinks for them.

"Mama Ten, kain na." Maine said shyly. Mama Ten merely smiled and walked away after fixing the food for them.

Alden loved to eat, it was a joy watching him wolf down his food. She wondered what it wold be like if she cooked him a meal. She smiled at the thought, imagining herself wearing her Yaya Dub apron while serving him a steak and some dessert. Maine Mendoza, serving Filet Mignon to this hunk. Surreal.

He caught her watching him eat.

"Takaw ko, no?"

"Slight." She said with a laugh. She realized she was hungry herself and reached for a chicken leg. They talked amiably while eating. They compared notes about Siberian Huskies, both being dog lovers that owned a dog from this breed. He shared with her how he auditioned for Starstruck, and how he failed to get in as one of the Final 14. She also talked about her Eat Bulaga audition, how terrified she was of Ma'am Jenny, and how she thought she wouldn't make it.

"You know Maine, I'm glad you passed the audition." He said sincerely. There was an awkward moment, she was always uneasy when complimented. Maine grasped at the first thing on her mind to cover the silence.

"Alden, ang lalim ng dimple mo. Pwede isa lang?" Without waiting for his reply, she gently poked his dimple with her index finger.

"Whoa ang lalim!" She joked and they both laughed. She glanced around and saw the crew watching them with knowing looks and teasing smiles.

"Nagkakamabutihan na dito ha." Direk Joey said, patting each of them on the shoulder.

"Istorbo ka Direk," Ms. Ai-ai joked, pulling him away from them.

"Miss." Someone tapped her on the shoulder. "Closing na po kami."

It was quiet and people were walking out of the theatre. She made her way to the parking area and checked her phone. Three missed calls from Alden. He was still awake when she called.

"What were you thinking, watching a movie alone?" His voice sounded more worried than angry.

"Just an impulse, babe. Pauwi na ko, wag ka na magalit."

"Di mo ko sinama." He said, his voice sounding sleepy.

"Tutulugan mo lang ako, dahil sa pagod mo. Dami mo kasing raket eh."

"Di ah, madilim kaya sa sinehan, chance ko na yun."

"Chance na ano?" She joked, feeling her toes curl at the thought.

"Sama mo muna ko para malaman mo." He laughed sleepily.

"Loko, tulog ka na nga RJ, may shoot pa tayo bukas."

"Love you baby. Text me when you get home."

"I will baby, good night."

Looking back from that first day of closeness to what they were now, she still couldn't believe her luck. Alden broke all her barriers and swept her off her feet with his sincerity. There would be other movies to do, but My Bebe Love would always remain special for her, the movie that catalyzed her happiness.