One Shot # 7 - The Coke Moment

She was standing in the middle of the plaza, wearing her favorite red dress. Incredibly, people passed by without crowding her, almost as though she were invisible. She was looking for him, there was anticipation as well as worry in her eyes (possibly worried that he might not show up), as he decided to stop watching her and started walking towards Maine.

His Maine. The amazing, brazen, talkative Maine who thinks she could wrap him around her graceful fingers, and he lets her think it because he likes it when she bosses him around.

She finally sees him, her eyes lighting up like a child. They stand face to face with a moment of awkward silence. Then he smiles and she smiles back. He looks around and wonders why people did not seem to recognize them, while tentatively reaching for her hand. Slowly, his big strong hand engulfs hers in warmth, and she leans her head on his shoulder.

"Cold?" He asks, pulling her closer to his side.

She shakes her head and snuggles closer to him.

"There's something weird going on, " He whispers, his breath tickling her ear.

"I know. People don't recognize us." She said almost gleefully.

"Pansin mo din? Weird diba?" He kissed her hand as they continued their stroll.

"We must be in some kind of dream," She said, her active imagination taking over. She pinched him in his side playfully.

"Ow! Grabe ka. What was that for?" He let go of her hand and gingerly caressed his side.

"Sorry baby, testing lang. " She said naughtily. "So this is not a dream. Not that I'm complaining ha, but it's weird that they don't seem to see us."

Weird as it was, Alden wanted to make the most of the moment. This might be a dream or they were in some twilight zone that allowed them anonymity, but he wasn't about to waste this opportunity .

Unable to restrain himself, he stops walking and pulls her closer, kissing her. Her arms encircle his waist as she pulled away from the kiss, and rested her forehead against his mouth. Their uncharacteristic display of affection still did not seem to affect the people around them; there was no ogling, hoots or catcalls, no one approaching them for photos or autographs.

They sat on a park bench and talked, laughed, ate hotdogs and talked about their dreams. It was a magical night for both of them that they savored to the fullest. Impulsively , she kisses him on the cheek, stands up and pulls him up. Reluctantly, he stood up, following her lead.

"I'm thirsty," she declared, pointing to a Coke stand.

They approached the stand and smiled at the man behind the counter. Alden signaled for two cokes with his hand. There was only one coke left, but he got it anyway and gave it to Maine. He realized he was thirsty too, looking longingly as Maine drank from the frosty bottle. Noticing his gaze, she hands the bottle to him.

He reached for the bottle, his hand grazing hers. He thirsted for more but for now the Coke would have to suffice. He drank thirstily, closing his eyes, savoring the ice cold sweetness.

A hand tapped him on the shoulder. Maine was still looking at him, smiling, and so was the man behind the counter.

"Enjoying your moment, sir?" The man asked him with a smile.

"Yes, the Coke was good, thanks."

The man smiled widely. "Not the Coke sir. Your moment. This time with Maine, without any interruptions, calls, or work. This was what you wished for, right?" His eyebrows wagged knowingly but in a friendly way.

"Enjoy your moment sir. I am under strict orders to see that this moment is as you imagined it to be. The moment ends as soon as you finish your drink." With a salute to Alden and a wink at Maine, the man walks off whistling.

They stare at each other and laugh. Their eyes are glued to the coke bottle, which was almost empty.

"One more hour," Maine said, her eyes twinkling.

They both laughed, walking away from the Coke Counter, their arms intertwined.