One Shot # 17 - Practice Makes Perfect

After their kiss last February 25, we all saw how euphoric Alden and Maine still were even on the following day. In fact, they were finding it difficult to be sober during Lola Nidora's sermon, because they couldn't contain the joy/kilig (call it what you wish) they felt, and it got me wondering, did something happen between them after the Kalyeserye episode was over? I guessed they both wanted more after that screen kiss and imagined this whole scenario to give life to that "kilig" we saw in their faces the next day.  So here it is, an imagined scenario behind the scenes, that would explain their smiles even while they were being chastised for that unplanned kiss.

Feel free to comment on your favorite parts, and let me know if you'd like to request a storyline to be written here. You can also follow me at Forever_Rimaine or email me at mavrecintogmail.com. Happy reading! :)

It was all over social media and the fans were rejoicing. Jadine was finally official. Maine got wind of it on Twitter because some Aldub fans were Jadine fans too. Everyone seemed generally happy for Nadine and James, after all, it took them two years to finally become a couple. Of course, there were skeptics who felt the whole couple thing was just a promo for their upcoming concert tour, but the romantic in Maine liked to believe it was real.

Jadine going public got her thinking about her and RJ. It was her idea to keep mum about their relationship, and their management agreed it was best to do for now. Being a newbie in showbiz was tough, and it would be even tougher to juggle a public relationship with all the media frenzy, the shoots, Kalyeserye, her album and their upcoming movie. But seriously though, how long would they keep it under wraps? It was a challenge to give the same speech over and over again whenever media or fans asked about their relationship status.

"Seryoso ah." Direk Pat said upon entering the pantry. "Ano na naman ba binabasa mo?"

"Official na Jadine, Direk. Heto nasa news na."

"Ah talaga? Hmmm. Anong effect sayo ng balita? Parang sad ka ah."

"Ha? Hindeee...Happy ako for them siyempre. Naisip ko lang na yung samin—"

"Luhluhluh. Alam ko na kasunod. Don't compare, dangerous yan."

"Not really comparing. I was thinking lang if dapat umamin na rin kami ni Alden. Am I being unfair with him to keep it secret muna?"

Direk Pat takes a seat beside her. "One day at a time lang, ok? Tama naman decision mo na wag muna aminin, di naman talaga dapat lahat i-share sa public. Ang Jadine may reasons sila for sharing that with fans but that does not mean kayo rin dapat mag-share. Tignan mo Dongyan, ang tagal din bago umamin sila diba? You will know when the right time is, to go public."

-----------

She was walking towards him in her white dress, looking so beautiful but trying so hard not to trip over the dress. Alden looked so dashing in his barong, and by the time he was within her line of vision, her heart was beating loudly, reverberating through her rib cage. Alden was, always is, breathtakingly handsome. He seemed nervous and excited, looking her way as soon as the fans began screaming. She tried to calm herself, mesmerized by Alden's eyes, so much so that she tripped and laughed at herself. She impatiently took off her shoes, kicking them away and regained her composure, continuing to walk towards him.

As they faced the cameras, Lola Tinidora performed a mock wedding ceremony on them, amid Lola Nidora's protests. By the time Lola Tinidora told Alden to "kiss the bride," the deafening screams of fans filled the Broadway studio. Alden folded the imaginary veil behind her and gently raised her chin for a kiss, only to be beaten by the garbage truck horn, signaling the end of Kalyeserye.

"Babe, I really want to kiss you," Alden whispered to her as he was raising her imaginary veil. The truck horn blared repeatedly, as if to break them apart. Their faces hovered close to each other, moving involuntarily closer and closer as the cacophony of sounds got more deafening.

She looked into his eyes, and suddenly, all the noise, the lights, cameras and the panel behind them were forgotten. This wonderful man always thought of her feelings first before his own. She blinked, as if confused.

"Ang lapit na ba?" He asked, wondering if he was too near and made her uncomfortable. But on the contrary, she smiled at him, her eyes crinkling at the corners. She wanted him to kiss her now, despite the place and time. She raised her lips to his by standing on tiptoes to give him easier access. Having her nearer was all he needed to know that it was ok, and his lips lowered to touch the corner of her mouth, as she puckered her lips and kissed him back.

Eyes closed, they savored a split second butterfly kiss, so quick yet so heartfelt. Pandemonium broke loose as Alden covered his mouth in glee, and Maine's eyes widened in mock surprise. The fans were wild with happiness, as Alden found an opportunity to kiss her once again, this time on the cheek. After quite a debate by the lolas and the panel on whether lips touched or not, Alden swept her off her feet and out of the studio, camera and crew trailing behind them.

"This is getting to be a habit," She told him laughingly, as he carried her out of the studio.

"Practice makes perfect, bibi." He said smugly, sneaking a kiss on her neck when the cameras were not on them. They were out of the studio, now by the steps outside, the final frame of Kalyeserye before Eat Bulaga went into commercial break. As the crew went back inside, Alden carried her back in.

"You can put me down now," She said, caressing his nape and staring into his eyes. It was wonderful to be carried by him but she gained weight and self-consciously wondered if he might be feeling the weight gain already.

"Sssshhh. I'm still on practice mode, walang basagan ng trip." They reached the pantry and dressing rooms. Alden deftly turned the doorknob while still carrying her and went in, kicking the door shut behind him. Ruby and Pia were inside, took one look at their faces and stood up to leave.

"Ok istorbo ata tayo tara labas na muna," Ruby said, winking at Alden. The door closed, Alden slowly let Maine down, sliding her body down his. There was electricity where their bodies touched, her arms automatically wound around his neck, pulling him closer as his arms wrapped around her waist.

"Nabitin ako, pwedeng isa pa?" His naughty eyes teased her.

"Since when did you have to ask permission to kiss me? Have you seen the Kiss scoreboard? Nakarami ka na eh."

"Public kisses yun eh. Di nila alam, in private lamang ang mga kiss mo sakin."

"Kapal mo RJ ha," She slapped him on the arm playfully.

His lips swooped down to meet hers, lips sliding lightly over hers, gradually deepening as she hugged him tightly. His hand glided up her back to press her closer to him as his lips traced a trail leading to her ear. They kissed slower this time, savoring each other's taste, as though it was their first kiss. She pulled away weak-kneed, their foreheads touching.

"Uwi na tayo," He joked, caressing her jawline.

"Kung pwede lang," She said wistfully. They still had rehearsals for TNT, and a shoot for the Lenten special.

"Babe, I can't wait for the day I will finally make you mine. Dun tayo papunta, Maine. I will take care of you and our babies." His eyes were serious, and though he was several years older, she saw him as her baby boy. She liked fussing over him, even though she knew how independent he was and capable of taking care of his family. She liked that he allowed her to baby him, and envisioned years ahead of doing a myriad little things for him.

"I'd like that." She said eyes solemnly looking at his. It was the first time she did not joke at his cheesy remarks, the first time she vocally admitted to looking forward to a future with him.

They kissed again, too engrossed to notice that the door swung open and Baste walked in. He was staring at them unblinking, as they drew apart. Walking backwards, he retreated and ran across the hall shouting, "Bossing!!! Nagkikiss na naman sila..."

They both laughed and hugged. Her mind went back to her thoughts earlier on going public and knew in her heart that it wasn't time to share their happiness with the world.

Not yet. Not just yet.