One Shot #14 - Up and Away

Valentine's Day is just around the corner and while we still don't know what plans RJ and Maine have for this day, I imagined what I thought would be a really cool and unique date that they would both enjoy. Hope you like this, guys. Please feel free to comment or request for any story you would like to be written. You can also follow me on Twitter @Forever_Rimaine (The Aldub Diaries) . Enjoy!

"Yes, yes, yes! I have a date! And I am super duper excited to finally spend Valentine's day with my bed! Been sleep deprived for weeks now and I've been wanting to get some decent sleep. I thought Valentines would be the perfect time for the two of us! Oo, bonding kami that day coz it's Sunday, and I opted to spend the day at home– resting."

                                                                                       -Excerpt from "VDAY PLAYLIST" Blog Entry, February 3, 2016

"It's just a day; it's not like you're going to spend the rest of your life alone."

                                                                                   -Excerpt from "V-DAY RANT (?") Blog Entry, February 10, 2014

(Both Blog entries from Maine Mendoza's Blog "The Pessimistic Optimist Bella")

Valentine's day is overrated. Maine believed this then; she still believes it now. It's not that she's jaded about love, but more because she had an aversion to anything cliché. The whole gamut of cheesy-ness associated with V-Day or Hearts' Day as some people thought was a cuter term (cringe), repulsed her. Thus, Maine was far from stressed on this so-called red-letter day, and instead wanted to catch up on sleep she sorely lacked.

"Talagang walang plans si RJ for you today?" Coleen asked her, eyebrows raised. Coleen was already dressed and waiting for her fiancé to pick her up for an afternoon-till-midnight date.

"Nah," Maine said with a yawn. She was wearing her oversized baseball shirt and pajama bottom, her hair matted and disheveled from sleep, even though it was already noon.

Niki suddenly peeked from the bedroom door, looking pretty and dressed up as well. Hubby John was taking her out too. "Meng ikaw lang maiiwan dito sa bahay," She said, blowing on her manicured nails for it to dry faster. "Pati si Tay ilalabas si Nanay. Ok ka lang ba dito?"

"Sus. Ano ba kayo? I just want to sleep today ok?"

"Pero kahit pabalat bunga di ka man lang niyaya ni Alden?" Coleen insisted. "Kahit alam niyang di mo trip diba? Yayain ka man lang then choice mo na lang mag-turn down."

"Puso mo. Tinanong naman ako, pero alam ko naman na may SPS pa siya saka pagod yun kaya sabi ko sa kanya wag na."

"Ngek, di man lang namilit," Niki asked with surprise.

"Anobah, pag-aawayin nyo ba kami? I said no, end of story. Kalokohan naman ang Valentine na y an eh. Sige na, baka malate pa kayo sa mga date nyo, ok lang ako dito." She pushed both out of the room.

"Baho mo, maligo ka man lang uy, baka isurprise ka bigla ni RJ," Coleen said, laughing.

She shut the door a little louder than she intended, feeling her face flush. It was true, Alden did ask her, and she turned him down. She could still remember how much like a wounded puppy he looked when she said no.

It was last Saturday, after their Chinese New Year celebration at Eat Bulaga just finished and everyone was saying goodbye to Tito Sen, who would be temporarily leaving the show in compliance with campaigning regulations of Comelec. Alden was looking antsy, as though he wanted to spill out something he was keeping to himself since that morning. He led her to the now empty audience gallery and sat with her.