One Shot #13 - Making Time

Maine was done with hair and make-up for today's Kalyeserye. She wore sneakers, jeans and a striped top, minimal make-up, with her hair loose and wavy instead of the usual ponytail. She wanted to look nice today, even though their monthsary wasn't until tomorrow. She was excited with what she had planned for RJ and hoped he would appreciate her effort.

She booked an overnight stay at The Farm in San Benito because she new Alden loved massages. It was exciting because they would be doing this together for the first time outside of work, and they needed some R&R badly, never mind if it was short. The plan was for them to leave right after Kalyeserye separately and meet at Petron SLEX. Her driver would leave her with Alden and she would tell Alden where they were going only after they were together. They would be spending the night but leave early in time for Eat Bulaga the following day. Such short precious time for which they made so many adjustments but it looked like the odds were in their favor.

Someone suddenly grabbed her from behind, wrapping her slim frame with sturdy arms. Her heart leaped with surprise as she twisted around and gazed at liquid brown eyes that almost disappeared in RJ's chinito smile.

"Hey you! What are you doing here?" She asked a little breathlessly. They weren't supposed to see each other based on the script she was reading. He was kissing her cheek and neck repeatedly.

"Miss na kita agad eh. Haha."

"Sus, you'll see me later naman eh."But she was thrilled with the attention.

"Uhh, slight change of plans babe, " He said hesitantly. "I won't be around during KS, wait, don't get pissed yet. I had a shoot that changed sked supposedly this afternoon but luckily Sir Mark can squeeze me in this morning, so sacrifice ko na yung KS para free ako later, ok?

Maine was suddenly deflated. She suddenly worried about their time together, what if his shoot stretched beyond early afternoon? RJ had no idea where they were going yet, it would be such a bummer if he couldn't make it.

"Babe, smile na. Sorry, this shoot was scheduled last year pa, pero nagawan naman ng paraan. C'mon bibi, smile na." Not wanting to be such a killjoy, she reluctantly smiled but could not shake off the apprehension. Shit was bound to happen, the pessimist in her was nagging. She tried to shake off the feeling and concentrated on a new script that was given to her, adjusted as a result of Alden's sudden absence.

Her phone suddenly rang. It was a call from June, one of her handlers, and it sounded like bad news. June called only when things went wrong.

"June, what's up?"

"Maine, yung shoot mo scheduled for Sunday na resked. Nagkamali kasi ng reservation sa venue, tonight ang nalagay instead of Sunday. Ang problema fully booked na si Direk Richard for the next three weeks kaya ituloy na lang daw yung shoot mamaya if papayag ka. Anong sasabihin ko?"

Okay, here was the shit waiting to happen. It was her call, actually. Aside from her time with Alden, she was actually free to agree to the shoot. It was for a Valentine promo, and it being the last week of January, she really didn't have any choice but to say yes.

"Tawagan mo na June, sige go na yan," She said with a heavy heart. She felt like crying, she couldn't bring herself to call Alden and tell him the afternoon plans weren't pushing through. She sent him a text message instead, but was not able to see his reply since KS was about to start.

After KS, she quickly changed into white shorts, sneakers and her favorite play shirt. June already coordinated directions with her driver, giving her time to check her phone for messages. Alden tried calling her thrice, also messaged her to say his shoot went beyond the morning and might well be an all-nighter.