Chapter 4 | Never Look Back

   They were running, running from the group home, the miseries and memories. They were running from the system that held them hostage, withholding their freedom. They were running from life.

   "Where the fuck we goin' go now, Mil'?" Shy questioned Milyon. They slowed down as they began approaching a public park. They walked along the parks' pavement pathway, across a bridge which was over a pond; they finally found temporary resting on a bench. Trees surrounded the area mainly; it was pitch black outside, the full moon illuminating the night sky. Milyon sat with her friend, taking in broken breaths, the after effect of running for your life. She put her head in her hands as her elbows rested on her knees, she wondered if she had made the right decision by running away but the thought left her mind just as quickly as it came, not wanting to second guess herself.

   "I don't know," she finally spoke on the question that seemed to be lingering in the warm, night air. "We just need to focus on right now. Like, just find somewhere to lay our heads for the night. I'm tired, shit, we just goin' have to figure it out in the morning'." Milyon stated. She was exhausted, she was tired, and she really wanted to pass the fuck out.

   Shy looked Milyon in her eyes. "You don't regret it, do you?" Shy said in a low tone.

   Milyon didn't even have to think about the question her friend was asking. "Nah, I'm ready for whatever my future holds," Milyon laughed. "I mean, it ain't like we was being treated nicely in that fuck ass place, fuck them. They don't give a fuck about us, watch, they ain't even goin' notice we gone until two days from now. The fuck kinda shit is that?" she stated.

   "I'm just ready to start a whole new life, no bullshit." Shy said. She rested her head on Milyon's lap, she was tired and her eyes were getting heavy. They needed to rest. Milyon let her friend lay her head on her lap, Milyon just leaned back, drowning in her own thoughts and finally drifted off to sleep.

   They were awakened the next morning by children playing, and birds singing. They left the park in a hurry to find somewhere to rest their heads for the night before the sun went down. It was hot outside, they'd been in the same clothes for basically two days, and Milyon wasn't with that shit, at all. She had on a pink tank top, white short shorts, and pink and gold sandals, her long hair was pulled in a bun on the top of her head. Shy had on a striped black and white sundress, white sandals, and her hair was hanging down. They were looking decent despite being in the same clothes for so long, niggas still tried to holla' but the girls kept it movin', knowing that they didn't have time that shit. They'd been walking for almost an hour with no destination, they looked lost. They were walking on a busy street, which had a soul food restaurant, a Citgo gas station, and a Walgreens all across the street from one another. They were hungry, and the fact that the smell of french-fries and chicken seemed to linger in the air quenched their hunger. Unfortunately, they didn't have a penny to their names.

   Milyon and Shy looked at one another, both thinking the same thoughts without even knowing it. "That shit smell good as fuck, I'm fucking starvin' like Marvin." Shy said in whiny tone.

   "So, what you tryna do? It's a gas station right there, and that's damn near our only option at this point." Milyon said, ready to handle her business.

   Shy was down too. "Shit, I'm down for whatever, I know them Arabs ain't heard of the five finger discount but they goin' learn today!" Shy said, quoting Kevin Hart's Laugh at My Pain movie. She and Milyon shared a laugh, which was good, being in the situation that they were in.

   "Bitch, you crazy! Let's do this then." Milyon stated seriously. They approached the gas station, and made their way in, it was a hot June day in the hood, and the gas station was packed. They began walking through isles, just looking, acting as if they were really searching for a specific item, they just didn't want to seem suspicious. There were about seven other people in the gas station, including those at the counter. They began picking up items, like candy bars, Little Debbie cakes, chips, small juices, and packs of Skittles and Starbursts. They walked with these items in their hands, then they glanced at each other, there was only one register open with several impatient customers in line. An Arabian man that was supposed to patrolling the store had ran to the back of the store suddenly, which only made their plan a lot easier, the person at the register wasn't aware of his coworkers sudden disappearance and wasn't watching the camera. They acted as if they were getting in line but quickly switched gears to the door. No one was paying attention to them and they knew they were good. Devious grins appeared on their faces and they busted out laughing, feeling as though they'd just accomplished some shit.

   They started walking away from the gas station but not before some dude with a lot of chains around his neck approached them. "Ladies, what up?" The strange man asked. He was about 5'10, light skinned, neatly cut and trimmed goatee, he was a bit on the chubby side, dressed in a pair of cargo shorts, all white Air Force One's, and a Trukfit shirt. He looked fresh but the fake chains he wore around his neck looked tacky. Milyon and Shy looked at each other and grinned at this clown ass nigga.

   "Aw, y'all can't speak to a nigga?" he paused. "I'm Santana, you probably heard of me, probably haven't. Listen, I saw that shit y'all pulled back there and I respect your hustle, y'all are some female gangsters, no bullshit. I ain't tryna holla' at ya' or nothin' so you can stop looking at me like that." Santana laughed at the 'Nigga Please' looks that the girls had on their faces.

    He continued. "Look, y'all don't have to do shit like that, that shit is for the birds. If y'all ever looking to hustle for real and make some real cash, hit me up." Santana said and handed them a business card, which made them laugh. This dough boy fresh ass nigga was really giving them a business card, but it actually made them wonder what kind of business he was in. They looked at the card; it had a plain white background, it only had his name on there and two numbers, one was his cell and the other was for business. Santana had walked away before they could respond.