Chapter 5 | No Return

   Milyon and Shy continued in route to find shelter, so far they were coming up with nothing. They munched on the junk food that they stole from the gas station throughout the rest of their seemingly endless walk. They didn't know where any shelters were but that didn't stop them from looking. They walked through nice neighborhoods, they walked through the hood, and they walked past churches, now they were almost downtown.

   They talked and reminisced the entire time, laughing at everything that they'd been through in their young lives. Before they knew it, the sun was slowly disappearing from sight, when they realized that, Shy began to panic and her mood went from happy to sad almost instantly. They decided to take a break on the playground of a nearby elementary school. Milyon and Shy sat on a set of swings, and escaped into their own thoughts.

   Damn, I just need to figure out what our next move is. I wish I had some family I could call or something, Milyon thought. She didn't have any family besides her brother Maceon, as far as she knew. But she didn't know where the fuck Mace was at. She thought about ol' dude from earlier and felt that card in her back pocket, she took it out and looked at it for a good minute. She abruptly got up from the swing, making her way to the pay phone that was almost a block a head, next to a city bus stop.

   Shy looked at her friend, confused, she got up from her swing also and followed her friend. "Where you goin'?" Shy asked, still confused. Milyon just continued, heading towards the pay phone. She ignored her friend and figured that if this guy was really about what he was talking about, then that would be their only chance to find money, which would get them shelter. Shy picked up her pace and was now walking right next to Milyon, who was almost jogging at this point; she wanted to know what the hell was going on. She recognized a look of impatience, and determination on Milyon's face, and wondered what she had up her sleeve. Milyon finally stopped at the payphone, felt around in the pockets of her shorts, she found a quarter. The quarter was only there because every time she went to buy something, she would put the change in her pocket, strip her clothes off when she got home, and forget all about the change. Luckily for her, it hadn't gotten swept up in the washer and dryer. She put the quarter into the slot, and entered in one of the numbers that was on the card.

    Ring! Ring! Ri-

   "Talk to me." The person on the other end answered on the third ring.

   Milyon figured it was Santana but she wasn't sure. "Umm, is this Santana?" Milyon asked, just wanting to be sure that it was Santana that she was speaking to.

   The person on the other end replied instantly. "Depending on who wants to know, you tryna make some cash or what? 'Cause I ain't got time for the bullshit." He answered, becoming impatient with the caller.

   Milyon couldn't believe he was already being an asshole after being on the phone for only a moment. "A'ight, look, you can chill with all that shit you talking. You're the one who came to me and my friend at the gas station earlier today, 'member that?" Milyon snapped, irritated. 

   She didn't let him answer before she continued, "Anyways, we trying to get money, we in a bad position right now. Can you come get us?" Milyon asked, reluctantly.

   "A'ight, where y'all at lil' mama?" Santana question, he was excited to be recruiting more team members. Milyon told him where they were, and just like that, their conversation ended. A devilish grin plastered across his face, he knew he was about to come up, Milyon and Shy had no idea what they were getting themselves into. This was a point of no return.

***

   Santana glanced in the rearview mirror at the girls. "How old are y'all?" Santana asked from the driver's seat of the car. He'd picked the ladies up from the public phone that Milyon called him from. Milyon and Shy both looked at each other wondering if they should tell him their real age or not, thinking he would think they were young and naïve.

   Shy replied for them. "We're old enough, why does it matter?" she said, getting slick.

   Santana's eyebrows raised at the girls sassy tone. "You know what, it's cool. It really don't matter anyway." Santana said, laughing to himself a little. He had an agenda for these girls, and it wasn't anything good.

   "So, where are we going anyways?" Shy asked, curiously.

   Santana already knew how to reply to that question. "Shit, to get money. That's what y'all wanted right? Look, if y'all ain't down, then get the fuck out." Santana said, seriously, hoping that they wouldn't get out, he was testing them, if they stayed in the car, there was no turning back.

   Milyon looked at Shy, not knowing how to respond. "Yea, we good." Shy responded, knowing that they were in desperate need of currency.

   The ball was in Santana's court. "A'ight, that's what's up. You made the right decision." Santana said, almost jumping for joy.

   "So, do you guys have any family that may be looking for you if you're M.I.A for a couple of days?" Santana asked. He knew that they were probably in their teens, even though they look much older. He didn't want to get caught up with the feds on some kidnapping shit.

   Milyon spoke up. "Nah, we on our own." she responded to his unusual question; Shy just looked at him with her eyebrows scrunched together.

   Santana nodded. "A'ight, just making sure. Y'all just goin' be handling so much shit that y'all not really goin' have the time to be at home a lot." Santana said. This is when Milyon had to raise an eyebrow, what the fuck kinda shit is this nigga into? Milyon thought to herself. But she knew she shouldn't question it.

   Shy replied, "We don't have a home, so you ain't gotta worry about that." Shy said, honestly.

   "So, y'all ain't got nowhere to sleep? Is that what you saying?" Santana said, sounding surprised. This shit was getting better and better for him and they didn't even know it. The girls nodded.

   Santana mustered up his best saddened tone. "Damn, that's fucked up." He said looking at him through the rearview mirror. "Don't even trip though, I got y'all." Santana said. Milyon was skeptical, it seemed that every time someone told her that they "got her", shit would just go downhill. But she had no other choice right now, so she did as much wishful thinking as possible.

  After ten more minutes of riding around, they pulled up in front of a two-story duplex home, in a nice, quiet, middle-class neighborhood. "A'ight, this my mom's house so we goin' have to be quiet going in here." Santana lied.

   Shy wondered why this nigga was still living with his mom. "Are you sure your mom will want us in her crib? Shy asked, not trying to get cursed out by nobody's mama.

   "Y'all good, I pay the bills up in this bitch." Santana said. Milyon's mind began wondering, she was becoming skeptical once again. She thought about if they could trust this dude or not but they needed money, so they would have to just wait and see if they could trust him. Milyon and Shy linked onto each other by the arms as they followed him to the door of one out of the two duplex homes. Santana opened the glass screen door, and then jiggled the keys into the key hole before opening the front door. The girls entered and followed closely behind him, they were entering a whole new world.