Chapter 1 - The Truth

I looked at my reflection in the mirror, then down at the family portrait of my Mom, dad, 2 little sisters and I. I couldn't believe it, I was adopted. I mean I always thought I was, I look nothing like my family. As far as I'm concerned I am and always will be a Lukasiak, but the thought of being part of another family was scary. My name is Brooke Lukasiak, and I'm adopted.

~A few hours earlier~

Dinner was unusually quiet tonight, mom and dad kept glancing at each other. Chloe and Clara just ate their dinner like nothing was happening, I don't think they picked up on mom and dad's weird behaviour.

Every so often they would whisper to each other and then glance at me, and each time I glared in their direction. I think near the end of dinner Chloe started to notice the behaviour because she kept glancing between mom, dad and I. Clara obliviously ate her dinner, or threw it around as 2 year olds do.

I finished my dinner last like always everyone had finished and cleared their plates and where now waiting for me to finish. I finished the last bits of food and cleared my plate from the table, I then started to make my way to the stairs when my mom called me.

"Brooke, honey, could you please come here we need to talk to you as a family" I had made it to the bottom of the steps before I had to turn around and walk back into the dining room. Mom and dad sat at the end of the table both holding hands above the table. Whatever was going on it couldn't be good because my parents looked nervous. Chloe and Clara sat on one side of the table, Clara on Chloe's lap. I raised my eyebrow at the scene, it looked like Chloe was as confused as me and Clara was occupied by something else.

"Honey, why don't you take a seat" dad said as he used his foot to push the chair away from the table signifying where I should sit. I sat in the seat and both my parents grabbed my hands. Mom had tears in her eyes and I started to get worried.

"What do we need to talk about?" I asked a little nervous, I tried to pull my hands out of their grasp but they had a strong grip on my hands

"We should have told you earlier, but I just couldn't bring myself to say anything and for that I am so, so sorry." Mom said as her tears rolled down her cheeks she rubbed circles on the back of my hand. I shifted uneasily in my chair.

"Brooke, there is no easy way for us to say this and you must understand it's just as hard for us." my dad continued.

"Could someone please just tell me what's going on? Your scaring me." I said trying to keep my voice even and calm.

"Brooke, you were adopted" my mom said tears still pouring down her cheeks, out the corner of my eye I was Chloe's jaw drop and Clara look in my general direction.

My mind went black; I couldn't even think straight let alone say anything. I stared at my parents frozen in shock; I started to piece it together. Why I didn't have any resemblance to any of them, how I always got strange looks when we went on family outings, I couldn't believe I hadn't pieced it together sooner, I mean I always had suspicions but now it was confirmed.

I was brought back to the present when my mom started shaking my arm "Brookie, please say something." My mother cried, I looked at her before I yanked my hands out of their grasp and raced up to my room, I knew they were following because I could hear their cries and plea's but I didn't stop I wasn't mad at them I just needed some time to myself to sort through this information. I slammed my door shut and locked it. I slid down the door breathing out deeply, I heard my mom try to open the door before breaking down into tears.

"Please Brooke, we never meant to hurt you." Mom said, she sounded like she was at my height as well.

"I know." I whispered but I don't think she could hear me. I slowly got to my feet and made my way to my bed where my laptop laid. I opened my photos of family holidays, I started with our trip to Australia. It was 5 years ago, Clara wasn't born yet so it was only Chloe and I. I looked at the photo of me and Chloe standing under the harbour bridge, we were hugging each other laughing about something. I smiled as I went through all the other photos, I did even notice it was nine o'clock until I had finished looking at the photos.

I got up and quietly made my way to the door; I unlocked it and opened it, the first thing I noticed was my mom laying on the floor asleep. "Mom" I whispered when she didn't reply I bent down and shock her shoulder "Mom" I whispered again. She slowly opened her eyes and looked at me before quickly wrapping me in a hug and crying into my shoulder.

"I thought you hated us" she whispered into my ear, I wrapped my arms around her and hugged her tightly.

"I could never hate you." I replied "Can we talk about this?" I asked pulling back from her. She grabbed my hand and led me down to the living room, we both sat on the sofa in silence I had a million questions running through my head but I decided to start with the most obvious ones.

"Do you know who my birth mother is?" I asked.

Mom waited a little bit before answering "I'm sorry Brookie we don't" she stroked my hand again as my heart sank, I would probably never know who my birth mother is.

"Don't they tell you those kinds of things at adoption agencies?"

"We didn't really get you from an agency" she must have noticed I was confused so she continued "Well, I've been friends with Abby for a long time, and she knew I was having trouble falling pregnant. One day I get a phone call from her saying someone left a baby on her studio doorstep, so I quickly raced to the studio and sure enough there you were wrapped in a light purple blanket with Brooke written in cursive writing on the side. Abby said she couldn't look after you because she was so busy with the studio she wouldn't have enough time to look after you with enough love and attention you deserved so she asked if I would look after you, at first I was hesitant I had to talk to your dad about it but when Abby handed you to me and you opened your eyes ever so slightly and smiled up at me I knew then and there you would be coming home with me." Mom took a deep breath and wiped her eyes.

"What happened next?" I felt like a 5 year old being told a bedtime story.

"I called your dad and he quickly came to the studio, and soon after all 3 of us where on our way to an adoption agency to legally adopt you."

We talked for a few more hours and soon enough it was almost midnight, I said goodnight to mom and made my way back to my room, I quickly changed and made my way to the bathroom I grabbed a family photo on the way. I looked down at the photo and that's when it really hit me that I was adopted. I quickly cleaned my teeth and went to bed.