Chapter 16 - Your Fault

Chapter 16

The girls and I mucked around for the rest of the day, I was having so much fun I completely forgot about everything going on at the moment. First we were playing tag, I was first in as always. We were playing on the patch of grass by the studio. I chased them as they ran away giggling, I tapped Maddie on the shoulder before shouting ‘You’re it!’ and running the other way.

I looked behind me to see Maddie chasing Nia, I watched as they ran around, Maddie changed directions and started chasing Chloe. Suddenly I was slammed to the ground, successfully eating grass. I heard Mackenzie giggle in my ear and then more weight was added to my back. I groaned as I felt more weight added, I think everyone was sitting on me.

“Girls!” I hear Abby scream from the studio “Get off her back before you break it!” I had to hold laughing as they scrambled off me. I stretched out my back before standing up. The girls all stood in a line facing Abby looking scared. I started laughing and soon enough I was on the floor trying to breath.

I took some deep breaths and slowly go up, all the girls were looking at my weirdly while Abby was holding back a smile. I shrugged towards the girls before waving to Abby who was making her way back into the studio. I sat down on the grass and the girls followed. We talked about random things for hours and before long it was turning dark.

We made our way back into the studio, Gia was sitting at the front desk. We all waved and made our way back into the dancers den. Nick was the only on in there, the girls all went up to the viewing room and I sat down next to Nick.

“Hey” I said while stretching my toes.

“Hi” He replied smiling at me “What’s up?”

“I know who it is” I whispered looking at my hands in my lap

“What?” Nick asked confused

“I know who it is” I repeated

“Who what is?” he asked putting his arm around my shoulders, I rested my head on his shoulder.

“Who my mother is” I whispered

He pulled back so he could look at me “What?” her asked, my eyes started to water and he pulled me into a hug, I pulled my knees up to my chest and leaned into him more. “Isn’t this a good thing?” he asked.

I shook my head into his chest “When… When I tried… tried to talk to her… she… she ran away” I sobbed into his chest

“Wait? You tried to talk to her? When? Who is she?” He asked, I couldn’t say it, if I said it out loud it would be true. If I said it out loud I couldn’t imagine that it never happened. I needed to tell someone, and Nick was the only one I trusted enough to tell. Sure, I trusted mom and Chloe, but it’s not the same, there family, I needed a friend.

I took a deep breath, it was now or never “Kelly, Kelly’s my birth mom” I whispered

He looked at me with his eyes wide and mouth open. Obviously whatever he was expecting me to say it wasn’t that. For a second I thought he was going to start laughing, but he just pulled me back into a hug.

“Are you sure?” He asked, I nodded with fresh tears streaming down my face. I felt him nod and he lent back against the wall. I pulled myself closer to him and we just sat there in silence, I’m not sure how long it was until Abby came in.

“What are you to doing?” She demanded, I didn’t want to talk so I hoped Nick would say something.

He did something I didn’t expect, he gently moved me so he could get up. He stalked over to where Abby stood at the door.

“This is your fault” I said while motioning towards me, curled up in my ball, makeup running down my face, tears spilling from my eyes that where red and puffy.

“And why is it my fault?” Abby asked placing her hands on her hips

“Because, you knew, you knew all along who her mother was and you didn’t say anything!” Nick yelled at Abby, I glanced at the viewing room stairs to see if anyone was coming down. Nick realised to and quickly glanced at the stairs.

“So you know?” She asked him, glancing at me.

“Of-course I know! I have just been sitting her for over an hour with her crying into my shoulder!” he practically yelled in Abby’s face.

Abby looked shocked, “Brooke?” She asked looking at me, I shrugged my shoulders. “Why would you get so worked up over this?” Was she seriously asking me that?

“Well my real mom just ran away from me when I tried to talk to her” I said standing up and making my way over to them.

Abby sighed “Brooke, we talked about this, you two need to get to class” Nick nodded and started to make his way over to his bag where he pulled out his jazz shoes.

“I don’t feel like dancing” I said softly, Nick spun around really quickly even Abby looked speechless. I have never not wanted to dance, when I had bronchitis I wanted to dance. When I got my tonsils out the first thing I said after waking up was that I wanted to go to dance. Even when Chloe was born all I wanted to do was dance, I was complaining to Abby in the waiting room while mom was giving birth.

“Did you just say you don’t feel like dancing?” Abby asked still in shock.

I nodded and walked up into the viewing room leaving Nick and Abby staring after me.

“I want to go home.” I demand before I’ve even sat down, I pulled moms phone from her hands and I looked at the time 7:04 we still had an hour until I am supposed to finish and Chloe finished half an hour ago.

“Why do you want to go home?” Mom asked as I sat down next to her and watched my jazz class down below.

“Because I don’t want to be here” I replied, I was being a little cold but I was just exhausted and all I wanted to do was curl up in my warm bed.

“Don’t you want to go down into jazz?” mom asked again, I was getting really irritated

“No! I just want to go home!” I shouted the looked at mom who was looking at me disappointed “Sorry” I mumbled

Mom sighed “Get your things then, but tomorrow we will be coming in early” I smiled and hopped down the stairs grabbing my bag and making my way out the front to wait for mom and Chloe.

I sat down on the bench and looked up to the darkening sky, it was about 5 minutes before mom and Chloe came out of the studio. We made our way home and before long I was diving onto the couch. We had picked up takeaway on the way home and Chloe and I had eaten it in the car.

I decided I didn’t want to lay down stairs so I said night to everyone and went up to my room. I had a shower and got ready for bed, it was gone 9 before I finally fell asleep.