Chapter 4 - Telling Someone

Chapter 4

I woke up a few minutes later in the same position as I lost consciousness; I slowly opened my eyes to see Abby and Mom crying. I groaned in pain before attempting to sit up, Abby gently pushed me back down.

“Brooke, I’m so, so sorry” I heard Kevin say from behind Abby.

“It wasn’t your fault it was mine, I lost concentration” I replied while smiling at him.

“Brooke, how do you feel?” Abby interrupted

“Fine, a little dizzy and my hip hurts but other than that I’m fine” I replied, my head was spinning a bit and my hip was in some pain. It was only then I noticed how many people where in here, the senior company, the junior elite team they must have been practicing their group dance next door and most of the staff where in here.

“Okay, someone get me some water” Abby snapped, trying to carefully lift me into a sitting position, moments ago she was the one pushing me back down. Nick came over and handed Abby a water bottle, I smiled up at him and he returned it shaking his head a little, Nick and I have been friends since his very first day he started when he was 4 so we’ve been friends for almost 12 years. Mom always used to say we were inseparable, he was and still is my best friend. Abby handed me the water bottle and I took a small sip, I immediately felt better, my dizziness started to fade, I took another few sips before handing the bottle back to Abby.

I took a deep breath and started to stand up, I was on my feet before my hip started to hurt again it gave out from under me and I started to fall again luckily this time Nick caught me before I hit the floor again. I smiled at him when I was on my feet again, everyone was staring at me.

“Come on, we have a dance to practice.” I said, the senior company all scrambled to their feet and got into the starting position.

“Brooke, are you sure you’re up for this?” Abby asked me

I shrugged “When you fall off the horse you got to get right back on.” She smiled at me and then hugged me.

We started the dance and once it got to the lifts I immediately regrated getting straight back on the horse, a lot of the lifts involve my left hip and after the first lift my hip was on fire. Kevin looked at me and it looked like he was about to stop the dance because I looked like I was in pain.

“Keep going” I got out, he nodded and we continued the dance, we finished in the end pose and as soon as the music stopped I dropped to the floor holding my hip.

“You alright Brooke?”  Abby asked from her usually spot on the mats

“Yeah, my hips just sore” I said laying on my back stretching my left leg.

“Well, we’re getting on a bus in 2 hours, so give it a rest for a little bit and in about an hour we’ll run this dance again with you. For now, go help the juniors with their solos next door.” Abby said, I nodded I would only get in the way with this dance. I walked out of the room and into studio B where they were practicing.

I noticed Maddie was running her solo and everyone else was sitting on the floor watching. “Paige” I whispered, when she looked over at me I motioned her to come. I walked out the door and waited for Paige to walk out.

“I’m sorry about running into you before.” I said when she sat down beside me.

“It’s okay” she replied

“I wasn’t looking where I was going and I’m sorry” I wanted her to understand I was really sorry.

“Brooke” she placed her hand on my shoulder “Really its okay it didn’t even hurt” I smiled at her before pulling her back into studio B.

Maddie had finished her solo and Chloe was about to start hers, I sat down with the younger girls, Mackenzie tried to sit on my lap but I put her on my right leg because my left was still sore. I watched as Chloe preformed her solo, silence, it was an amazing dance and I’m sure she’ll do great with it. She finished her dance and I clapped along with everyone else.

Someone opened the door of the studio we all looked and saw Nick stick his head through the door, “Brooke” he motioned me to come outside, I picked Mackenzie up and moved her to my side. I slowly stood up making sure not to put too much weight on my left side and walked out the door with Nick.

We walked out of the studio and sat against the side wall of the building. It was a nice day, the sun was shining and there was no wind. We leaned against the wall just enjoying each other’s company; we very rarely got to go outside most of the time we’re practicing for a competition. I closed my eyes and looked up towards the sun letting the sun warm my face.

“What happened before?” Nick asked after a few minutes of silence.

“What are you talking about?” I asked, I knew what he was talking about but I didn’t want to talk about it. I knew I would end up telling him.

“You screamed at Abby and then ran off into the forest.” He laughed, I laughed with him, putting it like that made me sound crazy.

“It doesn’t matter” I said hoping he wouldn’t press the issue, but this was Nick, of course he was going to press it.

“Really?” He said sarcastically “because it sure didn’t look like nothing when you screamed ‘You lied to me! You kept it from me!’ at her. I’ve never seen Abby so shaken up before she kept muttering that you would never forgive her.” I looked up at him, this was new.

I sighed, there was no point trying to put it off, he would find out eventually anyway. “If I tell you why promise to think nothing else of me?” I asked

He laughed “Why would I ever think anything else of you?”

“Promise.” I demanded sticking out my pinkie like we did when we were younger.

He laughed “Promise” he locked his pinkie with mine.

I really didn’t know how to start, it was a sensitive topic. “Well, umm, you see… I just…” I couldn’t get it out, I buried my face into my hands.

“Brooke, you know you can tell me anything” Nick placed his hand on my shoulder.

I wrapped my arms around his neck and hugged him tightly “I’m adopted” I mumbled into his neck, I started to cry, I held on to him tighter.

“What?” He asked pulling me back so he could look at me, I wiped the tears away.

“I’m… I’m” I started choking on my tears.

“You’re adopted?” he asked, he looked stunned. I nodded and he wrapped me in a hug, I cried into his shoulder. “Its okay” He rubbed my back, I gripped his shirt and I started to shake uncontrollably. He pulled back and wiped my eyes “Brooke, don’t you dare think for a second I think anything less of you. You are still that crazy child that ran up and gave me a hug my first day here. The one who helped me with my technique and when I needed a practice partner the first person to volunteer. The one who got up at dawn on my birthday and decorated the entire entrance of the studio so everyone knew it was my birthday.” I smiled at him, he always knew what to say to cheer me up.

I was about to thank him when Abby appeared round the side of the building “Brooke! We need to practice ‘Why Not Me?’ we leave for the competition in an hour, its already 2.” I looked apologetically at Nick before we both stood up, kissed him on the cheek before running towards Abby. Nick had taken my mind off the pain in my leg and it felt a lot better. Abby looked at me sceptically but I just smiled and run inside.