Chapter 14 - Now Or Never

Chapter 14

I woke up in the same position as I fell asleep in last night, my arms still wrapped around Chloe. She had snuggled into my arms and her back was against me. I carefully unwrapped one arm as I stretched. Mom opened the door and I smiled at her, she smiled at the sight, she pulled her phone out of her pocket and took at photo of us. She mouthed for me to get ready, I nodded and she shut the door.

I attempted to pull my arm out from under Chloe when she mumbled “No, Brooke don’t leave me” in her sleep.

“I’m right here Chloe, I’m not going to leave you” I replied she hugged my arm like it was the only thing keeping for her falling down a cliff.

“They didn’t want you. You can’t just leave me” she mumbled again she turned over and I saw tears coming out of her closed eyes. I realised that she was dreaming about me leaving, I would assume it was about me finding me real family and leaving Chloe, I could never do that she always will be my sister.

“I won’t ever leave you” I whispered, Chloe slowly opened her eyes. I smiled and pulled my arm out of her grip “Morning sleepy head” she stretched hitting me in the face with the back of her hand.

“Morning” she said getting out of my bed, she left me room and I heard her door shut. I pulled my sheets off and made my way to the bathroom. I had a shower putting on some dance clothes and lose cover ups.

I made my way downstairs and walked into the kitchen to the smell of bacon and eggs. Clara was sitting on the counter while mom was cooking. I picked Clara up and spun her around, she giggled and I kissed her on the cheek.

“How are you this morning Clara?” I asked putting her on the counter

“Good! I practiced some acro! One day I’ll be as good as you!”  She said, flinging her arms around my neck.

I laughed “Yes you will!” I sat down on the bench chair and mom put a plate of bacon and eggs.  I ate the food, I glanced at the clock on the oven 8:44. Chloe walked into the kitchen and she sat down next to me, she leaned her head on my shoulder. I pushed my plate over in front of her, she pushed it back as mom put a plate in front of her.

We ate in silence, Clara kept trying to grab my egg, and every time I slapped her hand away she giggled and tried to grab it again. In the end I just sighed and let her take it. Mom laughed before putting another egg on my plate I ate it quickly before Clara could steal it.

I put my plate in the sink and made my way into the living room where I sat on the couch. Clara came running in a jumped on my lap. “Dance with me!” She practically screamed in my face. I got up off the couch, picked her up and we started to spin around the living room. Soon enough mom was shouting that we needed to leave for dance.

I quickly grabbed my bag and ran out to the car where everyone was waiting for me. I hopped in the front seat and listened to my headphones. I closed my eyes and soon enough we had arrived at the studio. I took a deep breath, today was the day, I slowly hopped out of the car. I saw everyone’s cars, we were the last to arrive.

We walked into the studio Abby and Gia where sitting at the front desk. I looked at Abby and she stared right back at me, I continued into the dancers den, I sat down with Kendall, Maddie and Mackenzie. They were talking about a boy who Maddie has a crush on, I thought I was cute.

“What do you think Brooke?” Maddie asked

“What?” I asked paying attention for the first time.

“What do you think I should do? How do I find out if he likes me?” Maddie asked, they all looked at me eagerly.

I shrugged “talk to him” they nodded.

“Who do you like?” Mackenzie asked

I was taken aback by the question, I’ve been too caught up in this whole adoption thing to even think about boys. Luckily Abby walked in before I could answer.

“Alright girls, listen up! First is the group, then Maddie and Kendall’s solos and finally the trio” She was looking at me. We all nod and grab the car seat before dragging it into studio A. We got into our positions and began our dance. We finished our dance and dragged it out of the studio, I glanced up at the viewing room and saw Kelly staring at me. I quickly looked away so she didn’t notice I was looking.

We waited in the dancers den while Maddie and Kendall performed, as I sat there I became more and more nervous. Paige and Chloe where sitting with me, to engaged in their own conversation, until Paige spook.

“You look nervous, more nervous than when you go on stage” Paige said, I offered a weak smile and shrugged. Maddie had already performed and was waiting with us, Kendall came out and it was our turn to go in. I took in a deep breath, rolled my shoulders and walked into the room with Chloe and Paige. It was now or never.