Chapter 19 - Get Out

Chapter 19

“So your mom, Christi, and I have been friends for a long time. She used to be a dancer here, anyway, 15 years ago she and I were having a conversation and she was telling me how she was having trouble falling pregnant. At this time I didn’t know Kelly was pregnant with you.

Kelly was also a dancer at my studio, she was very good, you remind me of her when you dance, well one day she came into the studio in hysterics. She told me she was pregnant - she was 17 - She told me that her parents where going to kill her, I offered her a place to stay if they kicked her out. They did. I looked after her, made sure she was eating properly and getting enough sleep. You birth father, Randy, was very supportive he came over every day. He talked to you while you were in her stomach.

I remember he said the same thing to you every day. ‘I’m going to name you Brooke, and you’re my little girl. I love you with all my heart, I know I won’t get to see you grow up but I will always think about you. You are going to be beautiful and whoever gets to be your parents will be the luckiest parents in the world.’” I was crying now, Abby came and sat with me wrapping me in a hug.

“Kelly spoke to you to, she was always whispering to you. They love you, both of them, even if you don’t see it. When she gave birth to you it was the happiest day of her life, you were born early in the morning on January 30th 1998, and we took you home that afternoon. We already knew you were going to go to Christi, of course they didn’t know Christi. They spent the rest of the day and all night on my couch with you.”

“What about her parents?” I asked                             

“They eventually let her move back in, I don’t know if they asked about you. You would have to ask her that.” Abby replied

“I guess I’ll never know then”

“Brooke don’t be like that.” Abby said sternly

“Like what? She was the one that wouldn’t talk to me.” I was being stubborn.

“I give up! You’re just as stubborn as your mother!” she yelled walking out of the room, I sunk down into the chair and stared at the ceiling. I can’t remember how long I was staring at the ceiling but I was so deep in thought that when the door opened I jumped 5 ft. in the air.

Abby almost fell over when she saw me still in the room. “Brooke! You almost gave me a heart attack! What are you still doing in here?” she asked placing her hand over her heart.

I shrugged “I don’t know, I just never left”

“I left 3 hours ago! What have you been doing?” she asked, I just shrugged again “I was coming to grab some music and go teach a junior acro class. Come on” she held her hand out to help me up, we walked out of her office and in studio B. Thinking about it I hadn’t really been to many of my classes this week. Considering I just spent my tap class staring at the ceiling, the first thing I noticed when I walked in the room was that Paige was in this class.

I walked over to Abby and sat down on the mats with her, I had just made myself comfortable when she got up off the mats and told everyone to stretch. I laid down on the mat and watched the class, Abby was getting agitated.

“Brooke!” Abby screamed causing me to jump and almost fall off the stack of mats. “Come and show them how to do a round off back handspring layout step out” I didn’t really want to annoy her more so I did as she asked and did a round off back handspring layout step out. “That!” Abby yelled “Is how you do it! Why can’t you be like Brooke!” she was looking at Paige who was cowering away, obviously she didn’t understand between the lines but I did.

“Trust me, you wouldn’t like to be” I said to Paige.

“I don’t see why she wouldn’t like to be like you, I know a lot of people who would like to be you” Abby said to me.

“You know exactly why!” I yell at Abby

“She loves you!” Abby screamed at me. She never screamed at me.

“No she doesn’t! I don’t care what you say you’re never going to change my mind!” I screamed back

“Get out.” Abby said really quietly “Go home, cool off and be here at 5” I stared at her. Was she telling me to leave? Never in my entire life had she sent me home. Not even when I was throwing up in the toilets before class or when mom wouldn’t let me go ice skating for my birthday so I was a brat all day.

“Fine!” I screamed and stormed out of the studio, I was up in the viewing room asking mom to take me home in seconds.

It was already 6 so mom decided we would all go home and have a family dinner. Chloe only had half an hour left of her jazz class before we were done for the night anyway so we left without any drama.

“So Brooke” mom started once we were out of the parking lot “Why where you and Abby screaming at each other?”

I looked down at my hands “We got into an argument” I replied

“I think you should leave that to Kelly” mom replied, Kelly was usually the one getting into fight with Abby. I cracked a smile, maybe I have more in common with Kelly that what I would care to admit.

We got home and mom started to make dinner, she rang dad in the car home. Him and Clara would be back in about an hour. I made my way upstairs I sat on my bed looking at the family portrait that sat on my dressing table. My mind was reeling, I just wanted to turn my brain off. I dint want to think about anything. I heard a knock at my door and Chloe stepped in.

“Can I talk to you?” She asked, I nodded and she came and sat next to me on my bed.

“You were a little crazy today” I looked at her, I didn’t think I was that crazy I had a good reason. Of course she didn’t know that so I might have seemed crazy to her.

“I didn’t think so, just mad.”

“About?” she pressed

“It doesn’t matter anymore” I reply casually

“If you say so” Chloe stated, she always did that to try and get me to open up to her.

We dropped the subject and decided to watch a movie, after arguing for 20 minutes on what movie to watch we finally decided on Dark Shadows. I put it into my laptop and we watched the first 30 minutes before mom called up to us for dinner.

I paused the movie and we both walked downstairs, mom, dad and Clara where all sitting at the table. We both sat in our usual seat and everyone dug in, it was like any other family dinner, we talked and laughed and just had a good time together.

Mom told us not to have a late night because we had to be at the studio by 5 tomorrow morning for the 17 hour bus ride. Isn’t this going to be fun? Chloe and I went back up to my room and continued to watch the movie.