Chapter 27 - Front Desk

Chapter 27

Everyone turned and looked at me, I smiled at Abby “Could everyone please make way for the owner so she can get through to help you.” I said politely, everyone moved out the way and Abby managed to get behind the desk.

She told Gia to go start the junior jazz program and she would be able to handle here. “Get down and go help Gia.” Abby said to me, I saluted again and jumped off the ledge and made my way into the dancers den.

A lot of the senior company where sitting in the den “See, here comes the answer” Brandon said smiling at me and motioning towards me with his hand.

I raised my eyebrow at them “What?”

“We wondered who was screaming” Brandon replied, I started to laugh

“Yeah, that was me. I was establishing order out there, it’s crazy what’s going on?” I asked

“We don’t know, we just heard someone scream and when I looked out the door there where loads of people out there” Brandon replied

“What are you guys doing anyway?” I asked curious as to why there where all in here.

“We have a break, what are you doing?” Brandon asked

“Going to help Gia with a summer program dance class” I reply making my way towards studio C.

“Have fun!” They all shout as I walk into C. She was teaching them some basic steps. The first thing I notice was that Paige and Maddie where in here. I walked up the front and stood next to Gia, I started to pull faces at Maddie and Paige. They started to giggle as I pulled more faces soon enough they were laughing.

“Girls!” Gia shouted at them they immediately stopped “You’re supposed to be role models and when I’m trying to teach you’re over there laughing. What are you laughing at anyway?”

I walked over to a girl who looked like she was struggling and helped her. “Brooke was making us laugh” Maddie replied

I spun around to face them “Excuse me?” I demanded “I did no such thing”

“Yes you did! You were pulling faces at us!” Paige shouted at me

“I was not! I was pulling faces at you!” I replied calmly

Paige and Maddie both waved their hands in my direction because I just admitted I made them laugh, Gia laughed. “Sometimes I really wonder about you. Then I remember that you grow up here” She smiled at me and I playfully narrowed my eyes at her.

“I believe you have a class to teach.” I said

“I believe you have a class to help teach” she replied

“Fair point” We started the class again before Abby came in.

“Brooke, I need your help” She motioned me to the door, I followed her out.

“Can you watch the front desk? I have a senior class I need to teach and all my other staff are teaching summer programs.” Abby asked

I nodded “Of course Abby” and head to the front desk and sit in the chair. I spin around a few times bored. I look up when I hear the door open, I almost fall out of my seat when I saw Payton and Leslie walk through the door.

I stand up and look at them, they hadn’t noticed it was me yet, luckily for me Gia walked out of the dancers den. I ducked under the table just as she saw me and she walked straight over to Leslie and Payton.

“You can’t be here. You need to leave now.” Gia said to them.

“We came to speak with Abby and Brooke” Leslie said

“Both of them are busy at the moment.” Gia replied, I could tell she was losing her patience.

“Fine, we’ll be back when they are free” Leslie huffed and I heard the door close.

I stood up from under the desk as their car sped away, “Well then” I said brushing dust off my shorts.

“You attract drama like a magnet” Gia said shaking her head.

“I do don’t I?” I replied sitting back down on the chair as Gia walked back into the den.

I got bored again and started to crumpled up pieces of paper and throw it in the bin. I was so into my game I didn’t even realize someone had come through the door until they spoke.

“I’m here to pick up Paige Hyland” the man said, I spun around. I man was typing away at his phone he hadn’t looked up.

“Are you immediate family?” I ask, Im not sure if I wanted him to answer that.

He frowned down at his phone “I’m her father” I got up and walked to the door that leads into the dancers den.

“Yo Paige!” I shouted getting her attention, I noticed Brandon was back in here, I smiled over at him “Your dads here to pick you up!” She packed up her things, said good bye to Chloe, who she was sitting next to and came over to me. She walked out the door and over to her father where she hugged him.

They were almost out the door when she turned around “See you tomorrow Brooke!” She shouted

“See you tomorrow!” I was still standing at the door way, her father stopped and turned around wide eyed “Brandon!” I yelled into the den before dramatically entering it.

I sat down next to Brandon and waited watching the door. After about 10 minutes I stood up and went back out to the entrance and sat on the chair.

I checked my phone that was in my bag under the desk, mom must have put it there after I went to help Gia. It was 2:40, had we really been here for that long? I felt like 5 minutes, I guess time flies when you’re having fun!

Abby came out a few minutes later to see my spinning in the chair, when I saw her I stopped spinning and stood up which wasn’t a good idea because my legs gave out and I fell to the ground.

I got to my feet as Abby walked around into the desk area. “You look bored” Abby stated

“Well this is a very boring job” I replied

“Don’t I know it. What classes do you have for the rest of the day?” Abby asked

I thought for a moment “I have nothing until my arco private with you at 5.”

Abby nodded, “I was talking to Mackenzie before, is there something you would like to ask me?”

“I completely forgot about that. Could we have a duet for the next competition?” I asked

“Come on, she’s waiting in A for us” I followed Abby into A as Gia walked out to the front desk.