Chapter 28 - Duet

Chapter 28

She was stretching in the middle of the room when we walked in, she jumped up and hugged me “We get a duet!” she squealed

“I know!” I squealed back before going to the middle of the room and began stretching.

“Okay girls, so you will be doing a duet to ‘Both of Us’ by B.O.B and Taylor Swift.” Abby said setting up her computer.

We ran through the choreography a few times before practicing with the music, it was a jazz acro routine with a few lifts. Obviously I was lifting Mackenzie. It was a really cute number, something I haven’t done in a while. Usually I do dark pieces with a lot of meaning, we practiced a few more times before Abby said we could have a break.

We walked into the dancers den Mackenzie headed for her bag to grab a drink while I headed upstairs to the viewing room. I sat down next to mom and watched Chloe in her tap class.

“What you and Mack where doing was cute” Melissa said to me

“I think so to, she wanted to do a duet and Abby said we could” I replied

“I think it’s a winner” Melissa smiled

“What time are we going to the coffee shop tomorrow?” I asked mom

“We’ll leave the house at about 10:30, is that okay?” mom asked, I nodded.

“What’s the time?” I ask, it was probably half 3 or so.

“Almost 4, I have to ask Abby if we could bump your private up because we need to go home and clean” mom said

“You. You need to go home and clean. Not me.” I reply making my way down the stairs into the dancers den. Abby called Mackenzie and I back into the studio, when we walked in we saw the seniors sitting on the floor.

“Girls, this week I wanted to do something different, you two are going to be competing with the seniors. The juniors aren’t going to a competition this weekend and the seniors are going to one here in Pittsburgh  so you will be competing your duet with them.” Mackenzie and I looked at each other, before shrugging and sitting down with the seniors. They practiced their dance a few times and we practiced ours and soon enough Abby was dismissing everyone and telling me it was time for my private.

I don’t remember mom talking to her but when I looked at the time it was half 4 so my private had been bumped up half an hour. Abby must have talked to mom when we were practicing and didn’t notice her leave.

During my private we worked on flexibility and some harder acro skills, it was challenging. I was doing moves that you see in professional shows and they were demanding. You needed a lot of core and upper body strength.

After an hour of intense training Abby finally dismissed me, I packed up my things and head up to the view room where mom and Chloe where waiting.

“I’m finished” I announced as Chloe shot to her feet and was already on her way down the stairs. Mom and I followed more slowly.

Chloe was already waiting at the car when we walked out of the building, we hopped in the car and we drove home. It wasn’t a long drive because there wasn’t any traffic, I grabbed my bag and headed into the house once mom had turned off the engine.

I kicked off my shoes as mom came in saying she would cook dinner, I headed up to my room and laid on my bed. After a while I got bored when I remembered I still had some more letters. I pulled out the next one in the pile, from 2002.

January 30th 2002

Dear Brooke,

The beginnings of these letters are getting a bit repetitive aren’t they? I’m just not sure how to start these, so many things happened from your birthday last year to your birthday this year. Your father and I got married, it was a small wedding not many people where invited. Randy’s parents, a few friends and my parents. If I had my way my parents wouldn’t have been invited but Randy thought It would have been rude not to invite them.

We’d been living together since February last year, we bought a small house just outside of Pittsburgh. It’s perfect for now as it’s only the two of us, hopefully there will be more people living here soon. The only way this could be more perfect was if you were living with us.

Sincerely

Your mom/ Kelly Hyland

I folded the letters up and put them on my bookshelf so that no-one would touch them. I decided to go down stairs and wait for dinner, I walked into the kitchen and sat on the bar stool. Dad was sitting on the other one while Clara was in the living room watching ‘Peppa Pig’.

“Hey Brookie, how was the dance competition?” dad asked

“It was… interesting” I replied

“Interesting how?” he asked, I looked at mom had she not told him we knew who my birth parents where.

As if she had read my mind she said “It’s your story to tell him, not mine.” I nodded and turned back to dad.

“What are you talking about?” He was really confused.

“Well, umm I- we know who my birth mother is” if he had been drinking anything he would have done a spit take.

“You do?” he asked

“How long had you known?” Mom asked before I could answer dad “You hadn’t just found out”

“Well on Tuesday I had my suspicions because we did the trio and Mackenzie said Paige and I looked like sisters, then on Wednesday she left as soon as we finished the trio, I followed her and shouted to her that I knew but she just kept walking and then on Thursday I overheard Abby and her talking out by the front desk.” I explained

“Wait, so who is your birth mother?” dad asked

“Kelly” he still looked confused “Hyland”

He went wide-eyed “Paige’s mom?” he asked I nodded.

“Dinner!” mom shouted, I heard footsteps racing down the stairs and then Chloe sped round the corner.

 Everyone sat around the table and we ate dinner by the time we finished it was already 8. I went upstairs and had a shower and got ready for bed. I hopped into bed and turn off my light drifting into unconsciousness.