Chapter 21 - Cookies

Chapter 21

I was in the state where you’re awake but still asleep. Unconscious but still able to hear and feel everything. That’s where I was I could hear all the conversations around me but I couldn’t open my eyes.

The first thing I noticed was the fact that I was laying down not upright the way I had fallen asleep. The second thing I noticed was a soft humming coming from above me I recognised the tune I couldn’t put my finger on where I had heard it before. The third thing I noticed was that my head was on someone’s lap. The final thing I noticed was that someone was playing with my hair, I couldn’t for the life of me figure out who it was when it all came back.

Abby demanding I sit with her, her and Kelly’s conversations, the spider and the panic attack. I sat up quickly and fell off the seat onto the isle floor. I stared wide eyed at Kelly for a few seconds before scrambling to my feet and racing down the bus to the girls. Everyone was staring at me.

“Forgot my cookies” I said. Yes well done Brooke, cookies. Great now I would have to go and sit back up there. I mentally kicked myself as I grabbed the packet that was lying on the seat where I left it. I turned around and walked back to the seat next to Kelly and sat down. I continued to look straight ahead, I knew everyone was looking at me I looked down at my phone 8:30 only an hour and a half left.

Kelly attempted to put a hand on my shoulder, I jerked away from the movement. “But your my daughter-” I heard her say, she was saying something else as well but I interrupted her.

“Not by choice” I hissed under my breath and moved to the seat next to moms. As soon as those words came out of my mouth I wanted to take them back. Why on earth would I say that? I mean I’m angry that she didn’t want to talk to me then she acts like this. I think I went a little too far this time.

“What was that Brooke?” Abby demanded, I saw Kelly trying to keep back tears.

“Nothing” I mumbled looking at my hands

“No. What did you say?” Abby demanded

“It doesn’t matter!” I shouted at Abby

“Brooke!” mom said from next to me “go and sit up the front if you’re going to be like this”

I angrily got up and stomped to the front of the bus, not before sneaking some food out of moms carry on. I got to the front seat shoved the food on it, turned around and shouted down the bus “You all screwed me over!” Looking from Abby to Kelly to mom before sitting down on the seat shoving my headphones in and began eating the food.

I ate all the food, which wasn’t very much and went back to sleep, I was awoken by someone shaking my arm. I looked up to see mom, she helped me up and we all walked into the grand hotel. Abby went to the front desk to grab the keys to everyone’s rooms, I stood awkwardly to the side. Everyone was on level 9 all the room together.

Everyone made their way to the elevator and 9th floor, It couldn’t have been more awkward you could feel it in the air. I was suddenly tired, which was weird because I had practically slept all day. We all parted ways as they went to their own rooms, I hugged all the girls including Paige which was extremely awkward but I pretended it wasn’t.

I pulled on some pyjamas, cleaned my teeth and put my hair in a messy bun before curling up in the double bed I was sharing with Chloe, mom had the other one. Chloe jumped into the bed next to me and mom turned off the main light before turning on her bedside one. I pulled the cover up around the neck, Chloe did the same and suddenly we burst into a round of giggles. Mom looked at us sceptically before shrugging and going back to her book.

We calmed down and slowly drifted off to sleep. We had to be up early tomorrow to make our way to the competition, it was only a one day competition so all of our numbers where tomorrow. We had another 17 hour bus ride to get home. That’s going to be fun.

We had all our numbers close together the group was first then the trio and finally the solos. I don’t think anyone knows about it yet, which is good. Mine would be last because the teen division is usually run after the junior. I hope Abby brought a solo costume for me otherwise it would be a little awkward.

I nodded on and off for most of the night, I couldn’t sleep my mind was buzzing from the bus ride. I was probably the one that ruined whatever relationship I could have had with Kelly. I didn’t mean what I said I was just annoyed at her. One minute she was saying how she wasn’t coming because she already ruined what relationship we could have had and the next minute she playing with my hair and humming. She can’t have it both ways, she wants to talk to me I’m all ears if not well I guess she really doesn’t care about me.