Chapter 13 - Back Again

Chapter 13

~Flashback~

I sat on the front desk, Abby was working on getting some music for a group.

“I did a chin stand today!” I said excitedly, smiling at Abby.

“Well done! Did you have pointed feet?” Abby asked me

“Yes! I did it in 2 tries! Wanna see?” I asked, she nodded and I jumped down from the counter and proceeded to do a chin stand. As I came down, Abby shouted ‘look out!’ and some behind me shouted ‘Paige stop! ”I tucked my knees in and rolled over my shoulder to avoid the person behind me.

I stood up quickly and turned around looking a little sheepish “Sorry” I mumbled looking at the ground. Abby had come out from behind the desk, she lifted me up and put me on the ledge.

“You’re getting a bit too big to be sitting up here” She said smiling at me.

I look at the 2 people who I almost hit, I saw a little girl, she had blonde hair and was about Chloe’s age. Her mom looked quite young but I didn’t really pay attention.

“I’m Brooke” I said to the lady sticking my hand out for her too shake, she looked at Abby with a wide eyed expression. I saw Abby nod out of the corner of my eye. She smiled at me and shock my hand.

“Paige!” The little girl giggled, mom walked through the door with Chloe.

“Mommy!” I shouted jumping off the counter and running to her. “I did a chin stand!” I was jumping up and down.

“Well done Cookie! I’m so proud!” mom picked me up and kissed my cheek “did Miss Abby teach it to you?” I shook my head and turned around, Abby was talking to the lady.

I skipped over holding moms hand, mom put Chloe down and I sat on the floor with her. She climbed on my lap and started pulling my hair.

“Come on Chloe, it’s time for your first dance lesson.” Abby said while holding her hand out which Chloe grabbed and pulled herself up. Abby grabbed Paige’s hand and they walked into the dancers den.

“Mom, is Nick coming?” I asked hopefully, as I finished he walked through the door with his mom. I ran up and hugged him.

“Brooke, you have Jazz class in a few minutes, why don’t you and Nick go in” mom said we skipped into the dancers den.

~End Flashback~

Thinking back on it most times I’ve seen her she’s always been distant or isolated from everyone.  I looked at my clock it was 3:30 if my acro class didn’t start for another half an hour, I would only be a little late to the class.

I walked downstairs to find mom in the kitchen on her laptop, “Can you take me back to the studio?” I asked while standing in the doorway.

She looked up from her laptop, “Are you sure?” she asked concerned, I nodded and she pick up the car keys. We made our way back to the studio, in the end I was only 10 minutes late, mom said she’d pick me up at 6:30 when the class finished. I kissed her goodbye and ran into the studio Abby was sitting at the front desk, she looked up as I ran in before going back to whatever she was doing, she then had to look up again, I started to laugh at her expression as I ran bye.

I quickly pulled off my trackies and top before running into studio B where I had my class. The class went fairly quickly, it usually does when I’m in acro. We did some tricks worked on flexibility and before long the class was dismissed. I made my way out to the front entrance.

I walked passed Abby not even looking at her, she shouted after me “You know she’ll be here tomorrow”

“I know” I replied walking out the door and into the car which mom was waiting in.  We picked up some take away on the way home, we pulled up and made our way into the house. The other 3 where sitting at the table, I put the food down on the table and we ate the food, we didn’t really talk mostly ate.

I was thinking about what it would be like, what it would have been like to like grow up with Kelly. Would I still know my family? Would I be close with them? I was deep in thought I hadn’t even noticed that everyone had already left the table and I was left sitting here alone.

I was making my way to the stairs when mom called to me “Early night Brooke, we have to be at the studio by 10 tomorrow”

I walked into the living room where mom and dad where watching TV. “Why?” I asked

“Something about performing for all the moms” mom replied, I nodded and made my way back to the stairs and up to my room. I plugged my phone into the dock and pressed play. I laid down on my bed and stared at the ceiling, I can’t remember how long I stayed like that I might have drifted off to sleep at one point. There was a knock at my door and Chloe stuck her head in.

“Can I come in?” She asked, I nodded and she closed the door behind her. She stood against the door awkwardly, she looked a little scared.

“What’s wrong Chlo-bird?” I asked sitting up and turning my music off.

“Can I sleep with you?” She asked in a small voice. I looked at my clock it was already 11:30, I quickly shoved on some pyjamas and climbed into my bed. I patted the space next to me, Chloe climbed in and I turned out the light.

I closed my eyes and started to fall asleep when I heard Chloe’s quite cries. I wrapped her in a hug and brought her close to me. I fell asleep with my arms wrapped around her.