Chapter 29 - Wrist

Chapter 29

I was awoken my mom banging on my door yelling at me to get up. I hopped in the shower and got ready for the day. I heard Chloe running around her room as I walked down the stairs.

Mom was making some breakfast, she told me to put my dance clothes in the car because we’ll be going straight to the studio after the coffee shop. I did just that and when I came back into the house mom had put breakfast on the table with Chloe already pilling half the food onto her plate.

“Save some for me” I joked as Chloe started to dig into her plate. She motioned to the food with her hands before going back to her food.

I sat down and grabbed some bacon and eggs and munched into them. Mom was running around the kitchen cleaning up and making sure she had everything. We finished breakfast and Chloe and I quickly cleaned our teeth before running and jumping into the car.

 The coffee shop isn’t that far from our house so it only took a few minutes to get there. I was silently freaking out as we sat down at a booth. Mom ordered us hot chocolates as we waited. I pulled my phone out of my pocket and put my headphones in my ears. I lent my head on the window and closed my eyes listening to my music.

Mom nudged me, pulling me from my thoughts and dream world. I looked over at they were here, all of them, Kelly, Randy, Josh and Paige. Suddenly I couldn’t do it, they were all staring at me, everyone was staring at me. Was it just me or where the walls closing in? My airway closed up and I couldn’t breathe, I heard everyone start to freak out but it sounded like it was miles away.

I vision was spotted with black as I scrambled over the back of the bench and tumbled to the floor I didn’t even register the pain what shot through my wrist and up my arm. I got to my feet and sprinted out the door to the coffee shop, I only got to the corner before my wrist exploded into pain as I rested it on the wall.

I screamed in pain, slamming my back into the brick wall holding my wrist. Tears pricked my eyes as I continued to stare at my wrist, the pain was severe, I slid down the wall cradling my wrist. I didn’t even realize that someone had sat beside me until they tried to look at my wrist. I cried out in pain as they pulled my wrist towards them, they instantly let go.

I looked up at Randy who was sitting next to me, he looked hesitant to even touch me. I lifted my wrist up to him and he gently held it, lightly stroking the back of my hand.

“It hurts” I whispered

“I know, it looks like a severe sprain or a break” I said back, my eyes began to water again. He slowly pulled me into a hug. A cradled my wrist as I cried into his shoulder.

“I have dance” I cried into his shoulder, he rubbed circles on my back.

"I know, it's alright, how about we go get it checked it out? Make sure it's not broken." He said getting to his feet, he held out his hand for me and with my good hand he helped me up. I looked over and saw everyone waiting at the front of the coffee shop, they all looked concerned.

We started to walk back towards them when our hands brushed, I looked up at him and he was looking at our hands as if him even touching would cause me to run away. Slowly I slipped my hand into his and he started staring at my hand in his. He slowly looked up at me and smiled, I returned it and wrapped him in a hug.

"I've waited forever for this day" he whispered "only one thing would make it perfect, if-" I cut him off.

"Dad" I whispered, he hugged me tighter and I felt something wet drop onto my shoulder. I looked up to see him crying, "Why are you crying?" I asked lightly 

"I never thought I would hear you call me that" he whispered. I slipped my hand into his again and we walked back to the others, went we got to them mom rushed over.

"Are you okay? You hit the floor pretty hard" she said fussing over me.

“My wrist” said holding it up

She gently took it in her hand before wrapping me in a hug “Come on, lets get you to the hospital so we can get it checked out” I nodded and mom helped me into the car. She turned to the Hylands “Are you coming to the hospital?” she asked

They nodded and all four of them quickly got in their car and followed us to the hospital. Once in the car mom asked me to ring Abby to tell her what happened.

She picked up on the second ring “Brooke? What’s up?” her voice came through the phone.

“We’re on our way to the hospital” I said in the phone

“What happened?” Abby’s voice sounded frantic through the phone.

“I think I might have broken my wrist” I replied

“How on earth did you do that?”  She asked

“Umm, I jumped over the back of a bench and fell on the floor” I replied sheepishly

I heard her sigh “Which hospital are you going to?”

“Allegheny General”

“I’m on my way” she said before she hung up

It took us a few minutes to get to the hospital, we went in and soon enough we were called to see the doctor. I had to get x-rays to confirm that it is actually broken, I cried into Abby’s shoulder. It couldn’t be broken, then Mackenzie and I couldn’t do our duet. We all sat in the waiting room for them to develop the x-rays. My wrist had started to swell, we all sat in the waiting room. Awkward would be an understatement.

Melissa, Maddie and Mackenzie entered the waiting room, Mackenzie ran over to me and I cried into her shoulder.

“We might not be able to do our duet” I hugged her with my good arm.

“That’s okay, we can do it when your wrist is better” Mackenzie reassured me

Soon after the doctor came over and we went back to his room, he said I had a small fracture and had to wear a brace for 4 to 6 weeks. He strapped my wrist and said to come back in 4 weeks to see how well it’s healing.

He said I could dance but couldn’t do any tricks or work with my hand, I was disappointed but at least I could still dance which was better than nothing. By the time we actually left the hospital it was 2 in the afternoon so everyone decided to go to lunch. Suddenly things started to go right for me, well except for my broken wrist but let’s not count that, I had a great conversation with Kelly and Randy about what’s happened in my life and I bonded with them more. Josh and I where on the same page and I found out I have a lot of things in common with him.

Paige, Chloe, Maddie Mackenzie and I had a great time laughing and joking around all lunch and before long it was time to go back to the studio.