Chapter 9 - Dances

Chapter 9

My alarm went off at 8 am, I was tempted to throw it across the room but I decided against it because I would need it tomorrow. I somehow managed to get out of my bed and into my shower, I had a quick shower and put on some black booty shorts and a red crop top. I pulled my trackies over the top with a baggy red ALDC shirt.

I skipped down the stairs and all the way onto the kitchen, I hugged Chloe before steeling a spoonful of her cereal. I kissed Clara on the top of her head and hugged mum, she placed a bowl of cereal in front of my usual spot. I hopped onto the chair and began to munch into my cereal. Dad walked in while I was shovelling cereal into my mouth. “Morning!” I shouted while spitting cereal out which hit him. Chloe and I then choked on the cereal in our mouths before falling into a fit of laughter. How in hells name did I go from a zombiefied slug to a monkey on a sugar high?

After Chloe and I had calmed down, we finished our cereal but couldn’t look at each other without bursting into laughter again. Finally mom had had enough and told us to get in the car otherwise we would be late to the studio. We hopped into the car and we made our way to the studio, mom parked and Chloe and I were already racing toward the studio, Abby was sitting at the front desk as we sprinted in.

“Morning!” I shouted jumping through the door to the dancers den. It was only the girls in the dancers den, summer classes didn’t usually start until about 11. I pulled on my dance shoes and pulled off my trackies and shirt.

“Girls!” Abby shouted from inside studio A, when did she go in there? We walked in to see Abby standing in front of the mirrors, we lined up in front of her waiting to find out what she had to say. “Yesterday was a huge success, we won all divisions we had performances in, with Chloe and Maddie tying. This weekend we will be going to Miami, I have 4 dances this week, a group dance, a trio and 2 solos. Everyone including Brooke is in the group dance, the solos are going to Maddie and Kendall and our trio will be Chloe, Paige and… Brooke” Everyone smiled at me “Our group dance will be a national winner from last year, The Last Text. Maddie your solo is going to be your ‘Cry’ solo and Kendall you will be performing ‘Look At Me Now’ and finally the trio will be called ‘Choices’ and it will be about a girl who has to choose between two family’s because she is adopted” I looked from Chloe to Paige, it really hit close to home, I looked at Abby with a confused expression.

“Girls, start stretching we will run through ‘The Last Text’ Brooke, Paige and Chloe, I need to talk to you.” We all walked up to Abby while the others went to stretch. “Okay, in this number Brooke you will be the lead, you will be doing a lot of lifting, once we run through the group we’ll learn this number” Abby looked at me the whole time, she didn’t even look at Chloe or Paige, it was as if she was only talking to me.

We went and stretched with the other girls before running though The Last Text a few times making sure everyone remembered the choreography. We then ran Maddie’s and Kendall’s solos before she sent everyone but the trio out, she didn’t want anyone seeing it yet, she told Chloe and Paige to stretch while motioning me over.

“Brooke, you really need to show emotion in this dance, I wanted you to do a solo as well and you might still do it, it depends on your emotion.” Abby said, I nodded, she called the others over to explain the story more to us. “Okay girls, this trio is about adoption, I know it’s a touchy subject at the moment but I really think we can do well with it, so Brooke it starts off with you and Chloe on stage, you do some parts together and some lifts, then Paige comes on and it’s about Brooke choosing to stay with Chloe the family she has always know or to go with Paige to find out about her real family” I narrowed my eyes at Abby before looking at Chloe and Paige, why would she choose us for this trio?

I decided to ask “Why did you choose us?” I asked Abby

“Brooke, Chloe this is your story you where the obvious choice and Paige just works well with you two” I nodded before we started to learn the dance. Chloe and I start in the middle hugging, when the music starts we do a set of turns, some lifts and leaps and slowly Chloe starts to move away, I do some acro work before Paige does some leaps and turns over to me. We do some turns together and some lifts before all 3 of us do some together. The end is when I am on the floor head in hands while Chloe and Paige are on either side waiting for an answer.

We did the dance and Abby clapped loudly, I think I saw was tears in her eyes. She hugged all 3 of us, it wasn’t normal for her to hug Chloe or Paige. We went to get a drink, Chloe and Paige stopped in the dancers den but I went up to the viewing room. All the moms where there except Paige’s, I sat down next to mom and leaned into her she put her arm around me.

“What’s wrong Brookie?” Mom asked

“Did you see the trio?” I asked

“Yeah, why? What’s wrong with it?” mom asked rubbing my arm

“It’s about me being adopted” I answered, a tension settled over the moms, they obviously didn’t like that.

“I need to go have a word with Abby” mom said starting to get up.

“No. It doesn’t matter, I don’t really care.” I tried to pull her back down onto the seat.

“Brooke, let go.” Mom demanded, I let go almost instantly, when she uses that tone it means she’s not mucking around. I put my head in my hands, mom stomped down the stairs and soon after Chloe came up and sat with me.

As if on cue mom started screaming at Abby, I hugged Chloe and the screaming continued, I didn’t want to listen to the words so I ignored them, I felt wetness on my shoulder and I realised Chloe was crying, I rubbed her back and I noticed that none of the moms where still up here.

I checked my phone, it was only 12, and we still had like 8 more hours here.

“You okay Chlo-bird?” I asked her

“Are you okay with the trio?” She asked me. I wasn’t sure how I felt about the trio, I mean it was just a dance wasn’t it?

I shrugged “I don’t really care, it’s just a dance, they won’t know it’s about me”

“Okay” Chloe said smiling slightly

“Come on” I said grabbing her hand and pulling her up, we walked down hand in hand to find all the moms comforting a hysterical mom and Abby walking into studio A.

“What’s wrong?”  I asked as me and Chloe walked over to the moms.

“Girls, just go back to rehearsals, we can talk later” mom said after taking a few deep breaths.

Gia came out of the dancers den “Brooke, come with me, Chloe Abby wants you in A to watch the solos” Gia said, I walked over and we sat in the dancers den, I was stretching on the floor just in case Abby came in and asked what we where doing.   

“She had a red mark on her cheek” Gia stated, at first I didn’t know what she was talking about and when I got it I started to laugh, “You hit her pretty hard, her mom was going to come and find you but surprisingly it was Kelly who stopped her”

I looked at her confused “What do you mean?” I asked

“Well she stormed in the studio, and she looked furious, and I mean I thought that if she got you she would have killed you. Anyway she was screaming ‘where is she’ we were all still in shock after you slapped her, well Kelly walked through the door and I think it clicked what was happening and well Leslie was looking at the bathroom and started to go toward it when Kelly stepped in.”

Gia went on explaining what happened she then asked questions and asked how I was doing; soon enough Abby came out of studio asking me to come and practice the group dance. I followed Abby into A and we worked on the group dance, I think she was annoyed at mom because she pushed all of us really hard and by the end of the rehearsal I crawled out of the studio A and drank all my water. I think the other girls where right behind me, crawling as well.