Chapter 2 - The Studio

Chapter 2

I woke up to my alarm clock going off and 6:30 I groaned turned it off and rolled out of bed. I walked into the bathroom and quickly got into the shower, today was Friday which meant we would be leaving for competition tonight. Once I had my shower I quickly got dressed into some denim shorts, a purple singlet and a jacket.

I walked downstairs and into the kitchen and sat down at the counter, mom was making pancakes.

“Honey, what are you doing up?” Mom asked, I looked at her strangely.

“It’s Friday, I have school…” I said carefully

“Oh, you don’t have to go to school today” Mom said placing a plate of pancakes in front of me which I greedily munched into, seconds later Clara stumbled into the kitchen closely followed by a sleepy Chloe.

“Ookie!” Clara shouted, pointing at me then running towards me. I quickly jumped off the counter stool as she ran into my arms. She couldn’t pronounce the B or R in my name so she called me ‘ookie’. I picked her up and spun her around before placing her on my hip.

“Morning” Chloe yawned while stretching; she walked over to my seat, sat down and started eating my pancakes.

“Mine.” I snatched the plate from her and moved to the other side of the counter with Clara still on my hip. Mom took her off me as I started to eat my pancakes again. Mom put a plate of pancakes in front of Chloe who stuck her tongue out at me. I opened my mouth which had my chewed up pancakes in and showed it to her.

“Eww! Brooke, that’s so gross!” Chloe covered her eyes and I laughed before quickly stealing one of her half eaten pancakes. “That’s mine!” She shouted when she noticed me eating her pancake.

“You ate mine! It’s only fair.” I stated finishing her pancake. I then turned to mom “Is Chloe going to school today?” Chloe looked up from her quickly decreasing stack of pancakes.

“I was thinking we take the day off and head down to the studio early and get in a little practice.” We both nod eagerly, we love it at the studio we both love to dance.

“Who’s coming to the competition this weekend?” I asked as I finished the last of my pancakes.

“Us, Maddie and Kenz, Nia, Kendall, Paige and the senior company.” Mom replied

“You could have just said the junior elite team and the senior company” I smiled, I usually went to the competitions with the junior elite team. I usually have to go anyway so Abby gives me a solo and I compete with them.  “I’m going to pack my bag. Come help me Chlo?” she nodded and we raced up the stairs to my room.

I pulled my suitcase out and started to pack clothes for the weekend. I made sure to leave out some dance wear for today because I needed some for when we got to the studio. I cleaned my teeth and put my toiletries in the bag. I was finished in about 20 minutes, I was double checking everything when Chloe spoke.

“Is it weird?” She asked looking up from her phone.

“Is what weird?” I asked making sure I put my phone charger in my bag.

“Being adopted” She said like it was the most obvious thing in the world.

“I don’t think the reality of the whole thing has set in yet. I mean it’s a lot to take in.”

“You know I love you no matter what, don’t you?” I smiled at her and wrapped her in a hug.

“I love you too Chlo-bird” I said hugging her tighter.

I heaved my suitcase down the stairs and out to the car. After we managed to get mine, Chloe’s and Moms suitcases in the trunk of the car it was 10:30. Mom texted dad that he would need to pick Clara up from the studio after work. I shoved my dance bag down at my feet, put my headphones in and off we went to the studio.

Sometime during the car ride I started to realise that Abby knew I was adopted and she hadn’t said anything. By the time we reached the studio I was angry at Abby for keeping it from me. I walked into the studio with a frown on my face.

“Good morning Brooke, how are you this morning?” Abby asked from behind the front counter.

“Peachy” I snapped, not looking at her and walking straight through to the dancers den. I shoved my bag down and changed into my dance wear, no-one else was at the studio so that worked in my favour.

I walked into studio A which I knew wasn’t being used until my private that afternoon. I had my water bottle and a towel with me. I walked over to the computer connected to the speakers throughout the studio, I scrolled through the list of songs until I found my solo music for this week, Tightrope. I put down my water bottle and towel and pressed play to the song, there was a few seconds pause before the music started and I got into my starting position.

The song started and I began my dance, my dance was a lyrical/acro dance, one that I had been working on for a long time, I lost myself during the dance and my mind took over, the events that had suddenly turned my life upside down replayed in my head. About halfway through the song I do a leap that lands near the computer at that point in the dance I couldn’t do it I stopped, threw my bottle across the room and broke down in tears. I hadn’t notice Abby was in the room and had seen the whole thing.

She placed a hand on my shoulder, “Brooke, what’s wrong?” She asked sounding concerned

“You knew all this time!” I screamed jumping up from the floor and sprinting out of studio A, I didn’t stop there I ran out of the dancers den  to the front door, I heard mom shout to me but I didn’t listen I sprinted out the front door I wasn’t looking where I was going and ran into someone. We both hot the ground. The person picked themselves up and someone behind them spoke.

“Are you alright?” they asked me, I looked up and saw Paige and her Mom Kelly, I wiped my tears and nodded she looked generally concerned.

“Brooke!” I heard Abby yell from the door and it sounded like she faltered for just a second. “Come back in here and explain what this is all about.” I looked at Abby and saw she was looking at Kelly.

“You lied to me! You kept it from me!” I screamed at Abby before turning around and sprinting towards the forest area. I didn’t stop until I reached my tree, I always climbed the tree when I needed to clear my head. I don’t know how long I was sitting there but after a while I knew I had to go back so I slowly climbed down the tree and made my way back to the studio.