Chapter 7 - Competition Day

Chapter 7

I was having a lovely sleep when someone decided it would be fun to use me as a trampoline, let’s just say they fell off the trampoline onto the grass. I rolled out of my bed and landed on Chloe who was still on the floor from being thrown off my bed. I had a shower before pulling on my ALDC shirt and sweatpants. We meet everyone down in the lobby at 8 am sharp, got our luggage onto a bus that would take us to the competition.  

We walked into the building and to our dressing room to begin getting ready for the competition, first up we had Mackenzie’s solo then Maddie’s followed by Chloe’s and last was mine. We all put our make-up and costumes on before running our dances. Mackenzie was up first, everyone went and sat in the audience but the soloists all watched from the wings.

Her solo finished and she walked off stage, as soon as she couldn’t be seen by the judges she ran into my arms. I twirled her around while Maddie and Chloe told her how good her dance was. We practiced our solos in the limited amount of space we had on the sides, there was no point going back to the dressing room because our solos where all so close together.  10 minutes after Mackenzie it was Maddie’s turn.

Her dance was beautiful, her turns and leaps where amazing and she had so much emotion, she walked off stage and we gathered her in a group hug, it was only a short one because Chloe was straight after her. I watched as Chloe walked out on stage, I was nervous I wanted her to do well but she was always in Maddie’s shadow. Her music started and I was mesmerised, I’ve never seen her dance so beautifully. In fact I even started to cry, she danced almost flawlessly. She finished in the end pose before walking off stage, as soon as the judges couldn’t see her I ran to her and hugged her tightly.

I was next, we had another 10 minutes before my solo so the girls helped me stay stretched and run through the dance. Soon enough I was being announced to perform, I walked out and all my nerves disappeared, I danced and before I knew it I was finished. I walked off stage and saw all 3 of them with their jaws dropped. I would take that as I danced well, we made our way back to the dressing room to get ready for the group dances.

We walked into the dressing room and where met by cheering, we all had a massive group hug before Abby came in. Once she came in she went through dances one by one “Mackenzie, I thought you did good, remember to keep your toes pointed. Maddie your solo was excellent I think its going to be a very close competition for you and Chloe. Chloe, that is the best I have seen you dance, it was amazing truly wonderful and finally Brooke, I think I need to start giving you harder solos everyone around me was whispering about how amazing you were and your emotion was amazing.” We all hugged Abby and proceeded to get ready for the next 2 dances.

The juniors where first, then us we practiced some of the dance, we couldn’t practice the lifts but we were prepared for the dance. We made our way backstage, the girls went on and preformed, they did great. They came off and we had another group hug, we’ve had a few of those today. They called us shortly after the girls, we performed and as we finished the audience was quite for a few seconds before bursting into a round of applause.

We walked back to the dressing room, we were all excited, and there is a likely chance that we could get a clean sweep this week. We walked in all excited and cheering and soon after us so did Abby, she gave me a hug first and soon we had yet another group hug.

We made our way to awards I was really excited, I hope I get first I put a lot of work into this solo. We sat down, first they started with the elite mini solo division, Mackenzie won first, she jumped on my lap when she came back and sat down. Next was the elite junior solo division, they called 3rd and neither Maddie or Chloe had been called up yet, they announced it was a tie and that Chloe won with a technical score of ½ a point in front of Maddie. They hugged each other and joined us back on the floor. Next was my solo in the elite teen solo division, I was so nervous, they called 2nd and it wasn’t me, I held onto Chloe and Maddie’s hands as they call first place… it was me.

Now it was the junior small group division, no surprise the girl’s won and finally it was the teen group division, we won with a clear lead of 10 points. We were packing up our things, Abby told us that our luggage had been loaded onto the bus from the hotel and we would be going straight home from the competition.

We were boarding the bus 10 minutes later and making our way back to Pittsburgh.