IV

Today was not Luna's day. She slept in. Cursing herself, she quickly got ready, thanking the Force that her quarters were on the same floor as the medical centre.

She arrived at work and placed the ceramic pot contained a green fern on the table in the nurses office, she knew no one would steal it. She checked the papers she'd been left in the little shelf she was allocated. The shelf was narrow but deep to hold documents related to patients, "LUNA" in capital letters was taped above the allocated shelf. The names of the other nurses above theirs.

She signed off some documents before she heard a small sound come from the door way, she looked up and saw a flustered nurse, her face was red and she looked terrified.

"What's the matter?" Luna immediately asked.

"General Hux. He's here and he wants to see you."

Luna swallowed, hoping she didn't look as nervous as she felt. She bid the nurse a thank you before moving through the doorway and out into the front desk area where she was now face to face with the auburn haired General.

"General Hux."

"Nurse Luna."

The two moved away from the front desk and the peering eyes and ears of the other nurses. General Hux spoke again.

"I have come to see Lord Ren; to check his condition and to debrief him if he is feeling well enough."

"Of course, this way, please"

Luna lead Hux to the private room, swiping her keycard and opening the door wide to let herself and Hux in. Kylo was already awake.

"Luna, I was-" but he was cut off when Hux entered the room. "Hux."

Luna closed the door gently before moving to the corner of the room, out of the way of the conversation.

"Lord Ren. It is good to see you awake, alive and well."

Kylo took a moment to answer.

"Luna is taking great care of me."

Luna froze in the corner, cheeks flushing red. General Hux ignored the comment.

"Luna has informed me of your progress over the past few days and I can see that you have improved. But this is no time for small talk; I am here to fill you in on what you have missed."

Kylo nodded. "Go ahead" his voice was stern, gruff.

"Resistance pilots targeted a thermal oscillator on Starkiller base and, with the aid of explosives, destroyed the facility."

Kylo nodded and did not tell him that Luna had already made him aware of this.

"We are on this cruiser temporarily as we find a suitable planet to situate ourselves on. We have intel from Supreme Leader Snoke that the young scavenger from Jakku has found Luke Skywalker and Skywalker has already begun training the girl."

Kylo did not know this and his face hardened.

"As soon as you're well we need to plan a defense if the Resistance decide to attack. Supreme Leader Snoke was also explicit that you should complete your training before facing the girl and/or Skywalker."

Kylo nodded. "Of course. I will need a training space."

"I'll see to it that when you are discharged there will be a space in which you can do so. But for now Ren, feel better soon."

Luna found that last part particularly strange and informal coming from General Hux, but the same gesture of humanity made her smile.

"Thanks Huxy"

Luna giggled and Hux glared,  startling her and tried to cover her giggle with a cough. Kylo tried to hide his smile.

"Good day, Nurse Luna."

Luna inclined her head. "General Hux."

Hux exited the room silently, the only sound heard is the click of the door.

Silence engulfed them as Luna awkwardly stayed in the corner of the room, shifting from foot to foot. Kylo watched her before looking down and fiddling with the pulse oximeter on his index finger. Luna remembered that she had something for him.

"I have something for you"

Kylo's head shot up. "Do you?"

"Yes, should I go get it?"

"Yes. Yes, please."

Luna flushed red before swiftly exiting the room.

Kylo watched as the door closed, the soft click emitting to say it had locked. He sighed and flopped back onto the pillow and blowing the hair that fell on his face out of his eyes. He was confused. He was confused about being confused and he was confused by the reason for being confused. This...girl. She knew nothing about him, and he essentially really knew nothing about her, except her homeworld and age and name. He was confused as to why she, of all people, were consuming his thoughts. Everything would link back to her. And he didn't know why.

His thoughts were interrupted by the door opening again, Luna peeked her head through the door and gave a smile.

"Hi." she said.

"Hi."

"Close your eyes."

"Why?"

"I want it to be a surprise."

Kylo chuckled and closed his eyes lightly. He heard the scuffle of the door shutting and something solid being placed to his right.

"Ok! You can open them!" She was excited and Kylo loved it.

He opened his eyes and looked to his right to see a medium sized green fern in a ceramic black pot. He reached out to touch the leaves of the fern, feeling the fibres between his fingers.

"Do you like it?" Luna asks tentatively.

"I love it"

Luna smiles. A soft warm smile that showed gratitude.

"Thank you." He says. Really meaning it.

"You're welcome." She says.

They look at each other. Properly this time. Not in passing. Luna is so close to him, she can count the freckles and beauty spots that litter his cheeks. Kylo can see the flecks of green in her eyes. They are so immersed in each other. Luna lifted her dainty hand to Kylo's ink black hair and gave the strands a small stroke; a simple gesture. She was completely unaware of it, but Kylo wasn't. He felt her fingers brush through and graze his scalp, giving him goosebumps. He shivered lightly which he regretted because Luna blinked - brought out of her rapture and retracted her hand so quickly it was as if she had touched a hot metal.

"I-I'm sorry, I have to go" she rushed.

"Wait-"

But she was already out the door.