XXIX

Kylo awoke with a start and looked up to see the face of his Uncle looking down at him.

"We're almost there, you should get ready." Luke said and smiled at his nephew.

Kylo thanked him and watched as his Uncle walked back to where Rey sat at the front of the vessel, piloting their way through hyperspace to D'Qar. They managed to find Resistance sympathisers what were kind enough to lend them a ship to get to the base. Rey was still cautious around Kylo, which was a given due their last encounter.

Kylo slid out from one of the onboard beds and rubbed his face awake before he was hit with the reality of the fact that he would be seeing Luna and his child in a matter of minutes.

There was a sudden pull on the ship as they came out of hyperspace and Kylo walked to the front of the ship and saw through the dashboard of the ship the Ileenium System. It was beautiful, surrounded by an asteroid belt.

"Here we are." Rey said.

"Are you nervous?" Luke asked.

"Of course. Are you? This is the first time you'll Mom in years." Kylo said.

"All is, as the Force wills it" Luke recited.

"Is that a new mantra?" Rey asked.

"No, but it came to me recently through the Force. It is very true and is something you should always remember. Both of you." Luke said.

Kylo nodded and noticed they were flying into D'Qar's atmosphere. His nerves were suddenly at their peak and he didn't know if he should go through with this. Rey glided the ship down and soon the Resistance base was in sight. As they got closer, he looked at all the people as they ran around the base. Rey soon landed the ship and jumped up out of the seat and exited the cockpit to the door. Luke followed and so did Kylo before stopping near the exit.

"I'm not sure if I can do this." Kylo said. His body frozen and unmoving.

Luke turned around and saw the colour drain from his nephew's face. He walked over to him and placed his hands on his arms.

"You can do this, Ben."

"What if she hates me?"

"Stop asking yourself 'what if'. Remember the mantra I said before? Remember that. Let it guide you. Everything will be fine." Luke reassured.

Kylo nodded and Luke smiled before exiting the ship. Kylo took a deep breath and shook out his shaking hands in the hope that they will stop trembling.

"All is, as the Force wills it." Kylo recited.

It was then, when he stepped down the ramp and into the bright and fresh air of D'Qar. He looked ahead of him and saw the Rebels welcoming back Rey and greeting Luke.

He stopped breathing as he saw his mother. She was in an embrace with Luke, holding him tightly as she welcomed him home. She pulled away and smiled at Luke before something caught her eyes.

That's when she looked at Kylo. And Kylo looked at her. For the first time in years. Leia was unmoving as she looked her son up and down. She slowly made steps forward and Kylo did the same until they were about a metre apart. Kylo looked at his mother. She was older than he remembered. Her face tired. Her eyes were glassy with tears and in that moment, he realised how much he had missed his mother.

"Mom." Kylo choked out.

Leia burst into tears and embraced her son tightly. "Ben." she breathed into his torso.

Kylo hugged her back and felt his mother's body rack with sobs. He tightened the embrace as he squeezed his eyes shut, tears silently streaming down his face.