Just a Summer Fling

Here's the Third in the series Just a... 

Recommend to read Just a Kiss and Just a Bet before this!

I skated across the rink, the puck gliding fiercely in front of me. I maneuvered around the Ken High opponent. The goalie squatted, eyes set on me and I slid to the side and raised my hockey stick, blasting the puck into the goal’s net. The crowd roared as the clock buzzed. I wasn’t surprised that we won. My hockey team was pretty impressive for a bunch of girls. My team rushed at me and jumped on me, cheering.

            “Ellenwood High wins and will head to the Champion game in New York City!” The announcer screams into the speaker and the crowd cheers harder as well as my team.

            We head to the locker room. I quickly changed, heading out of the rink. I ended up in the parking lot, my family waiting for me. The first one to hug me was my mom, kissing me on the forehead, “You did a great job, sweetheart!”

            “Thanks, Mom.” I muttered sheepishly, spit coming out of my mouth from my braces. My older brother Liam and his wife Eliot grinned at me.

            Liam ruffled my ear, “Who knew you could play like that?”

            “Well, we do live in Minnesota.” I replied, punching his shoulder. Eliot tried to hug me but her belly blocked her from me so I hugged her from the side, “How’s that baby coming along?”

            Eliot puffed, “Hell, this one kicks harder then the last one.”

            “Where is Max?” I looked behind her but didn’t see the little rascal.

            He popped out behind Liam, his messy brown hair streaming in front of his big eyes. One eye was green and the other was blue. He ran at me, hugging my leg. I picked up my three year old niece, “Hey, there Maxie!”

            “Jacc-ie!” He squealed, squeezing my cheeks between his tiny fat fingers.

            “Gold!” I turned around and saw Grace Franklin motioning me to come to her. Grace was… what’s a nice way to put it? Oh yea, there isn’t. She’s a downright bitch and also captain of the girl’s hockey team. She pushes us harder than our coach but I don’t mind. I like the push and she knows it. She tries to intimate me but she and I both know I would never be intimated by her.

            Her jet black hair fell straight down to her midsection. Thick bangs hang before her sharp eyes. Her pink lips held a tight frown. I stopped in front of her, still holding Max in my arms, “What’s up?”

            “Nice game today. I was impressed_”

            “Like always,” I smirked.

            Her lip twitched, “For a fifteen year old, you’re good but your cockiness is going to get the better of you, Gold. Anyway, this is my last year with this team and I want to pass my status to you.”