Chapter Nine

I woke up covered in sweat. I sat up, pressing my back against my headboard. I closed my eyes, remembering my vivid dream of Nick and I having a hot and intense make out scene. I shuddered, my body tingling. 

I need a shower.

I ran to the bathroom, taking a sweet long time. After drying myself off and putting on some clothes, I wondered downstairs.

I noticed a few backpacks huddled against the door.

“What are those for?”

Aunt Ava perched her lips, “We’re going hiking.”

“I’ll be leading us!” Dad cheered.

“Like you could read a map, dork.” Mom muttered, “Let Jade lead us.”

Aunt Brandie’s husband Jade grinned, “I wouldn’t mind.”

Dad’s shoulders slumped, “If we die, it’s on you.”

“We won’t. Remember I’m good at everything I do.”

The conversation went on and on, my mom and the rest of the adults remembering back to when they were younger and all that junk. To sum it up, Mom was the crazy, spontaneous one. Aunt Brandie was the bossy but friendly one. Aunt Emma was either the bitch or the best friend (depends on the day apparently). Maggie was just downright nuts. Dad was the smart hottie. Zach was just a nerd and Jade was the stud muffin of the entire school.

For an odd reason, I can see them as teenagers acting wild. Apparently, my mom and dad met because of a Truth or Dare game. Long story short, they fell in love sometime between all the bullshit and learning US History.

I grabbed a sweater and zipped it up. I pulled out my favorite tennis shoes which have survived through dangerous terrains such as my backyard. I grabbed one of the backpacks, half way putting it on my back when Nick stepped up and slipped it off my shoulders, “Hey, that one was mine.”

“The men are carrying the bags.” Dad said, eyeing me.

“That’s sexist!” 

“Hell, the whole world is, Jackie.” Dad replied, “As much as you argue, you’re not carrying a bag.”

I rolled my eyes, “This is stupid.”

Nick chuckled, “What’s with the sour mood today?” He was closer to me then I wanted. I took a couple steps away and he noticed, his expression becoming unreadable, “Can we talk about what happened yesterday?”

“I really think we shouldn’t. Can we just forget about it?”

“Like it never happened?” He asked, eyes becoming dark.

I nodded with struggle. Why did it hurt so much to say this? “Please?”

“Whatever makes you happy,” He muttered, voice strained. He straightened the bag on his shoulder and went over to my dad.

Grant came by and shifted a backpack over his shoulder as well.

“Alright, let’s go!”

***

Sadly, Eliot didn’t feel up to going on this wonderfully lame hike so she and Liam stayed behind. Also, I’m supposed to watch Max, who takes baby steps for everything so we’re behind everyone else.

I picked up Max, who looked exhausted, “Sleepy?”

He nodded, his head bobbing back and forth.

“Go ahead and sleep if you want,” I said.

He closed his eyes.

Geez, my muscles ached, my back hurts and now I have a forty pound kid in my arms. I started to pick up my pace; catching up to Grant and Nick who were walking side by side, having what looked like a furious conversation.

“What are you guys talking about?”

Grant abruptly stopped, “Nothing.”

My eyebrows knitted together. I bet they were talking about me.

“We’re going to stop here for tonight!” Jade called from the front.

I glanced at Grant, “We’re staying overnight?”

Nick answered me, “Duh. These backpacks contain about two weeks of food for two people, two sleeping bags and every other survival thing you can think of.”

I slumped onto the floor, rocking Max back and forth in my arms. Nick and Dad built the fire. I stuck my feet out to it, enjoying the warm sensation.

Grant sat beside me, an arm resting around my waist. I looked at him and I couldn’t imagine us twenty years from now, having our own kids. 

Was that weird?

Max stirred, eyes blinking open. His eyes went to Grant’s face who smiled down at him. Max sat up, looking at Nick. His face crumpled into confusion, “I saw you and Nick doing kissy faces.”

Grant’s arm on my stiffened.

Well, damn.

COMMENT

VOTE

VOTE

VOTE!!!

AND DONT FORGET TO COMMENT C: