Chapter Nineteen

Three weeks.

That’s how long I haven’t said word to Nick or seen him. I know what you’re thinking. That’s crazy. He’s your boyfriend. He’s going to come around but apparently here’s one thing I didn’t know about him until now. He’s stubborn. Just like me. 

And another thing, school starts in two weeks. Believe it or not, the summer went faster than I expected too. And it’s been one hell of a ride. 

I walked into my room and kicked over my backpack with new notebooks and pencils. Crap. I jumped onto my bed and flipped over my phone. 

No messages. 

Did Nick really want me to apologize for that nonsense? He’s the one who called me a child. Okay, maybe I was a child. I don’t know what I want and Anita just confused me. At least she’s been off my back for the last couple of days. It was quite pleasant actually. 

Speaking of the devil, Anita came into my room, uninvited as always, “Hi there, Cracker Jacks.”

“What do you want?” I mumbled, flipping over onto my back.

She took a seat at my desk, “I know you’ve been down for the last couple of weeks and I wanted to make it up to you. Let’s go to the beach today. You’re too pale for your own good.”

The beach actually sounded nice right now. Somewhere secluded and I could easily drown Anita without anyone knowing. 

“Sure,” I replied and Anita gave me a sweet smile. I know I’m surprised ‘sweet’ could actually describe her too.

***

An hour later, I found myself in a navy blue swimsuit, lying on my blanket with sun glasses on. The heat of the sun warmed my body and I knew I’d get somewhat of a tan just before going back to school. 

“Jackie! Why don’t you swim?” Anita called from the water. She looked pretty with her wet blond pink hair and rocker black two piece swimsuit. Her bellybutton ring glistened in the sun.

“Nah,” 

“Whatever.”

I lied back down. Before I could close my eyes, a dark shadow covered the sun from my view. I raised my sunglasses and frowned, “What the hell do you want?”

Grant smirked at me; his blond hair glistened with water as his sea-green eyes contacted mine. Damn those eyes, “Harsh as always.” He took a seat next to me, “I was just trying to say hi. Is that wrong?”

“Well, we did break up…”

“And? We can’t be friends?”

I laughed, “You can’t be serious! That let’s be friends after we break up crap never works and you know that. You know the other girls you dated? Are you friends with them?”

“No, but you were different and you know that. I still care about you, you know?” He whispered.

I rolled my eyes, “What do you really want?”

“Who’s that girl with the tats?” He gestured to Anita who happened to be walking out of the water toward us as if in slow motion. This is a really bad movie then.

“I see. She’s the new bait now right? You guys would go great together. She’s a complete jackass and so are you.” 

“Really, Jackie, who is she?”

I got up, rolling up my blanket, “Why don’t you ask her yourself?”

Anita smiled at Grant and turned to me, “Are we going home?”

I nodded, “There’s a lot of bugs here.” I glanced at Grant and frowned.

Anita turned back to Grant, “Hi, I’m Anita. Are you Jackie’s friend?”

Grant said, “Yes” right as I said, “Hell no.”

I headed toward the car, “I’ll let you guys have some time alone.” Did I want Anita and Grant becoming friends or worse, dating? No, hell no. They would be like Bonnie and Clyde. And I don’t need Grant around my house. It’s already awkward enough. I glanced back and saw Anita laughing hard at what Grant said. There’s totally hitting it off. That annoyed me. 

I opened the car door and heard little Max call out my name. I spun around to be slammed into by him, “Hey there kid! Where’s Mommy and Daddy?”

He shrugged, “Nick is taking care of me! We’re going swimming! Go swimming with me.”

“MAX! I told you not to run around here. You might get hit by a car.” Nick strolled from behind a car and headed toward us. I’ve missed him. How much I’ve missed him. All of these damn emotions were coming over me now and I couldn’t take my eyes off his dark ones. 

He smiled at me and I was waiting for him to apologize and tell me he loved me but instead he said, “C’mon, Max. Let’s swim before the sun goes down.”

“How have you been?” I asked Nick before he could run off.

He shrugged, “It’s been alright.”

“I’ve missed you.”

“Same,” There was that dimple smile, “You know I love you right?”

I nodded, raising my hands for a long needed hug.

“I’m leaving, Jackie.”

My arms dropped.

ONE MORE CHAPTER GUYS! HOPE YOU LIKED THE SERIES!!