Chapter Three

I stalked after my mother, following her to her room as she folded some clothes and placed it in a duffel bag, “Why did you invite Nick?”

            Her face crunched up as if thinking of a good excuse, “Well…. Brandie was coming along anyway and she said Nick was back from college for the next three months. We haven’t seen him for two years, Jackie. Be nice to him.”

            I glared at her, “Did you forget what happened?”

            Mom sat down on the bed, sighing, “Of course I haven’t forgotten. Who could forget their own child sobbing for three weeks? I’m not trying to punish you by bringing him here but since you obviously moved on to someone else, give Nick a break. And stop being so harsh to him, he doesn’t deserve it just because he didn’t return the “I love you”.”

            “I’m not going.”

            “Stop being stubborn. You are going.” Mom snapped.

            I shook my head, “I’m staying at Connie’s house so, I can spend the summer with Grant.”

            “You really like him, don’t you?”

            I nodded, cheeks getting a bit red.

            Mom grinned, “I have a better plan.” She dropped the shirt she was folding and headed downstairs. I followed. My mother can do some crazy things sometimes. She ambled into the living room and grinned at Grant who was sitting next to Nick. Ugh…. Why do they have to sit so close together like that?

            “Grant, do you have any plans this summer?” Mom asked.

            Grant shook his head, “Not really. I just wanted to spend it with Jackie.”

            “Since our family is going on our annual camping trip and Jackie doesn’t want to go unless you’re there so, instead of spending a lousy summer here, why don’t you come with us?” Mom asked, tilting her head to the side.

            “Didn’t you say you have a lot of football practice this summer?” Nick questioned Grant.

            “It’s optional.” He replied and smiled at my mother, “I’d love to come along, Mrs. Gold.”

            Mom cheered, “It’s settled then!” She pinched my cheek, “You’re going to the camping trip! Hooray for Mama!”

            She disappeared and I frowned at Grant.

            He pouted, grabbing my hand and pulling me so I settled onto his lap, “Are you mad at me?”

            I didn’t reply. Hell yea I was mad at him. Now my entire summer is ruined and I have to spend it with Nick. Can this get any worse?