Chapter six ~ Confusion

That dreadful night, Dad decided to have the ultimate lecture while May pretended to be asleep. He wasn't too ecstatic about how our night turned up. His lecture went on for hours. I felt like I was in one of his business meetings until I finally pretended too, that I was asleep. Dad banned May and I from any other parties to come over the year. It didn't bum me out; I wasn't much of a party person to begin with. And I can guarantee you that May would find her way around it, just like she did all summer. She fooled me and everyone in the house. However, I did understand were dad was coming from. We were his only daughters, his flesh and blood. He wanted what was best for us. I knew if I were in his shoes and that were my daughter lying on a hospital bed, I would probably lock her in tower so she'd never have to leave.

As the next day went by, May's room slowly began to fill. David, somehow, was all back to normal and was lying next to May. They were the cutest couple ever. I couldn't pull myself to look away. It all makes sense now. The way David caresses her with such delicate and surrounded my sister in such a protective way. He truly loved her and his unborn baby. Every time he glanced at her and she would smile beautifully at him, the look in his eyes appeared as if he wanted to cry uncontrollably.

That's when I remember the boy next to me. He sat very close and just as protective as his brother. My stomach couldn't fight the storm of butterflies that swarm to my heart. He made me feel light headed and dizzy for a split second. I had steal a quick glance at the boy I called mine. He smiled a charming smile and my cheeks betrayed me, flushing a bright red. Not here. I told myself. But I couldn't end to it. It wanted to kiss him this very second until-

My sight caught a very angry mother walking through the door. All my affection for Derek vanished into thin air. My eyes widen, and most certainly I was terrified. There stood my mother. Her long beautiful hair flowed wildly around her body like a curtain. Her blue eyes were ready to pop out their sockets. There was hint of red formed around her nose and cheek, stating that she had been crying. In that instant, she dropped her bag on the floor not caring that it cost a fortune.

I became alarmed. This isn't a pretty sight of mom. She's usual a happy, open hearted woman who I have a ton of respect for. Though, right about now, I want to crawl into a hole until this whole nightmare pass. She totally freaked me out right now.

"Marilyn, calm down." Dad tried to say before mom exploded. "They're fine." He added soothingly, placing both of hands on her shoulders.

"No James, my daughters . . . they could have been killed." Mom nearly shouted shoving Dad's hands away. "David as well," she said. I watch as she angrily dug her nails into her forehead. "I've been on a god damn fourteen hour flight praying to god that our daughter didn't die before I got to see her one last time. These are my babies." She whispered in the end as sobs choked her up.

"They're my baby girls too," Dad said pulling mom into a tight hug. "Just relax sweetheart." Dad said rubbing mom's back as soft sobs continued to escape her lips. "Everything is fine darling." I heard dad whisper her.

Mom was a wreck. Her eyes were puffy red and she looked like me when I found May lying on the ground drenched in blood. Her hands were trembling and her cries wouldn't ease. She slowly stepped out of Dad's embrace and walked to May. I've never seen this side of mom. She looked younger when she cried, much younger. She was tiny next to Dad and some reason May and her could pass as twins, literally. Mom wrapped her arms around May, squeezing her tightly and tears spilled from eyes that instant. May too was also crying in moms arms. Imagine if mom knew she was pregnant, mom would die. Not of disappointment because she's the one who always tells us that everything happens for a certain reason. She'd died of heart break if she knew her eldest daughter was pregnant and died against her will.