Chapter 22 ~ Mother's Return

- Suri

Hours had trickled on by since David left and my heart finally stopped singing a sad song. I needed to be happy. I was given the chance to see him. I had to constantly remind myself that he will return. David will come home again.

Greg and I spent the rest of the morning cleaning up the mess we left around the house. I couldn't leave not a single thing out of place. Even though mom hasn't been here for two years; this woman knows where each and every single thing has been placed and she will expect for everything not to be out of place.

I rolled my eyes. Damn woman.

I wasn't shocked when chefs, house keepers and other people began to arrive unannounced. Oh mom was defiantly coming home.

Richard, an old butler appeared in front of me, pulling me out of irritated state.

"Miss Miller, we meet again. You have certainly grown." He smiled compassionately down at me. I think Richard was the only house employee I had a close relationship to beside Liz, who raised me for the past to years as her own. The rest keep a respectful distance from me.

"Indeed it has been awhile. Where have you been?" I asked shifting my weight. The man still looked the same as he did four years ago. Brown autumn eyes, a perfect smile that only exist in a magazine and the same bald head I can remember.

"With your mother, in Hong Kong."

I rolled my eye. That doesn't surprise me.

He reached inside his coat pocket and retrieved a square envelope with my name on it. "This is for you." Richard said in solemn tone and held an envelope to me. My eyes darted from him to the envelope.

The envelope stated my name in well written cursive penmanship. I knew instantly that this letter was hand written from my mother. I reached from the letter glancing back up to Richard. He dropped his hand and put them behind his back.

"I will be in study." He finished with a nod and turned away..

"Okay.' I murmured.

My eyes fell on the letter once more. It felt like I was holding ten thousand tons in my hand, waiting to take me down like a ship sinking into the Atlantic ocean. Get a grip. I told myself. It wasn't like it was an atomic bomb ready for explosion once I unsealed it.

I turned the letter over and found that it was not sealed. I slowly open the letter and pulled out the piece of paper.

My eyes widen, baffled. It was a hand written letter. It was my mother's divine penmanship I once admire.

Dear Surilyn,

I am delighted to be returning home to you. I hope you forgive the distance I put between us. It has been long since I've seen your precious face. I'm certain you are well. I shall arrive before the warm dinner my staff are already cooking. Eight o'clock. I expect you dressed and ready for dinner.

I will see you then. Be well my darling.

P.s. We have much to discuss.

Yours truly, mom.

I closed my eyes. I wasn't sure if I was shocked or pleased by this letter. My first instinct was to dispose of this piece of paper. If only I can ignite it into flames with a simple thought. Her words were like poison to my tongue. How can she possible bear to right this? It's not like she was away for a few weeks. Two damn years she has planted between us. Does she honestly expect me to be okay?

Just as I was about the rip the letter to shreds, Greg appeared next to me. I noticed the letter was crumbled in my hands almost close to being destroyed.