Chapter twelve ~ Secret Ocean.

-Gregory

   I glanced up when a girl walked towards the teacher’s desk. She casually leaned over so the teacher can take notice of her. Mrs. Peterson smiled warmly up at her before rising to her feet and stepping over the piled paper that had surrendered her. The girl handed her a piece of paper and waited patiently for Mrs. Peterson’s answer.

   “Very well Surilyn,” She whispered. My heart skipped a beat to the mention of her name. I hadn’t recognized her when I walked in. “I hope you find what you need.” Mrs. Peterson added understandingly, touching Surilyn’s shoulder.

   Surilyn nodded and murmured a quick thank you and head towards the door. Before she could step out, a paper flew pass my face and whacked her on the arm. She froze suddenly and turned to see who through that at her. Her eyes searched but instantly she rolled them, reached for the paper and hurried away. God, what I do to see that beautiful face once more.

   I looked back when I felt a pair of eyes burning into the back of my head. Audrey wore a curious bet yet questioning expression. She then looked away and returned to her work as if she never looked at me. I purged my lips and continued too with my assignment.

   Strange is all I’m going to say.

   Later that day, before the bell rung for lunch, I met with Nate in the staircase just like he instructed me too. Soon Nick and Jerry joined us. I noticed Jerry holding an obnoxious colored paper in his had and grabbed it immediately and scanned the black bold letters.

   “It’s the winter ball.” Jerry said. “It’s two weeks from now.” He added slipping the paper from my fingers.

   “Just gives us time, will find you a date.” Nate joked.

   “You guys already have a date.” I asked.

   “I have a girlfriend.” Nick assured me.

   “I have my eye on a girl.” Nate smiled very cocky.

   “I don’t know yet, so many to choose from.” Jerry laughed and shrugged his shoulders.

   “What about you, see anyone you like?” Nick asked punching my arm as we walked towards the cafeteria.

    My mind fluttered to Surilyn‘s face. Man, what it would be to take the most beautiful girl to the winter ball. “Yeah,” I answered a minute later.

   “Oh god, please tell me it’s not . . .” Nick trailed off.

   “Dude she is off limit’s, we told you.” Jerry said, nudging my side.

   I didn’t even winch from the pain. Yeah, these boys were my friends but I didn’t care. It shouldn’t matter what some selfish rich boy thought. Surilyn was a person, not some one’s property.

   “He doesn’t own her. Why can‘t she be happy, he is.” I objected.

   No one spoke leaving it at that. Good. I was still going to do whatever I wanted with or without their support or approval. I had a point and they knew I was right. Who cares what Derek wanted, he for sure did not own me or my actions.

   At lunch, we ate and talked as if the disagreement never occurred. I was starting to feel the boys respect towards me. I mean, I am pretty sure a lot of boys see the beauty I see in her eyes and would want to talk to her. She had warmness in her heart. It was an attraction that I could not fight. I searched the cafeteria for the new light that has brighten my world. I immediately became disappointed when the table she usually sat in was empty. So I thought I should find her. I stood up, taking my tray with me.