Chapter 19

-Chapter 19: Pain and Protectors

My eyes flickered open and I looked around the dark room. Where in the world am I and how did I get here? No, I know how I got here. Zack placed a cloth or a rag over my face and drugged me. I think it was a rag though. It felt like one.

“I see you’re awake,” Zack’s voice said and he turned to me. “So, how are you feeling? I bet your head is killing you right now and you’re confused as to why you are here and how you got here.”

“Not exactly,” I replied. “I’m just wondering why you decided to drug me and take me here with you. I can care less for the pain in my head. Cramps beat headaches in a pain contest. You’re going to have to understand that one day. Headaches are tolerable.”

Zack laughed. “You’re talking too much now. Anyways, I’ll explain this all now. I drugged you and took you because I believe that you’re mine. No, I know you’re mine and that no one else should have you. You’re crazy,” he told me and I shook my head. “You left me for a boy who looks like a girl! Is he seriously worth more than me? Of course, in the terms of cost he is but he has nothing that I have. He lacks actual muscle mass and he has long hair that is bleached blond!”

“You have to see what’s on the inside Zack!” I shouted madly. “You have no right to judge Jae. Do you even know a thing about him? Huh? Do you know what he is even like? No, you have no clue because you haven’t even tried to get to know the real Jae. I have though. Jae is wonderful and he is very sweet, kind, and he knows when to stand up for himself!”

“Stop talking about him! I don’t care for him at all.”

“You must care for him because you act like he is a huge threat to you,” I muttered out and he shook his head and laughed a bit. “You think that’s funny Zack? Well, at least we all know who won me over. Do you want to know why you lost? You lost because you accused me of things I didn’t do. You made me feel worthless and you made fun of Jae by calling him gay. You know I have a gay best friend and you know that offends me when someone says something like that about them.”

“Is that how you really think Cassie? I cared about you so much that I tried to prevent you from hurting yourself and look at what you did. You screwed up by picking that flower boy and leaving me behind. I love you so much and yet you threw my love away because of some guy you happened to meet at school in English class. Do you know how many high school romances actually last long? Not a lot Cassie! Wake up! Jae will want some other lady eventually. Maybe he has an ex he rather be with.”

“Jae would never pick an ex over me!” I screamed. I felt tears sting my eyes and I closed them, taking a deep breath into my lungs. I need to calm down. I can’t let Zack think he has me beat. “Jae cares for me and he probably cares more about me than you do. You had to kidnap me just to have me. You know what Jae did to have me? He is himself. He doesn’t have to kidnap me to have me.”

“I did this for love Cass!” Zack stomped his feet on the ground. “I did this because I really do love you and you will see that soon.”

I forced myself not to laugh. “Okay, fine. I believe that you love me. Just tell me how long you are going to keep me here? I can’t stay here forever. I have to finish high school and graduate.”

“I’m only going to free you if you stop being with Jae and if you come back to me.”

“You know I can’t do that.”

Zack looked at me in confusion for a second and then with a sad expression. “Okay, I see how it is Cassie. I see how it is going to be now. You’re not going to leave Jae because you think you like him a lot but you’re just attracted to what’s outside. You need me Cassie. You don’t need some pretty boy who thinks he is the bomb.”