Chapter 5

-Chapter 5: Jealousy and Just Friends

My boyfriend stares at me with his vacant, dark eyes. He is a handsome guy but looks aren't everything. He's a typical jock looking type, which is what Jeanette is into. However, that doesn't mean I can't be into him. I'm trying to be into him.

"So, what is it like working with that pink fairy?" Zack asks.

My inside burns. "Pink fairy? Are you talking about Jae?"

Jae is honestly the only person I can see him referring to as a 'pink fairy'. He wears pink clothes, sparkly pink makeup, and lip gloss to brighten his lips. However, he isn't truly a 'pink fairy'. He's just a guy who is into fashion and makeup. Jae loves expressing himself rather than hiding his own feelings.

"Yes, I'm talking about him. Who else would I be talking about?" Zack leans in a bit and lifts up his right index finger. He bumps my nose gently. "Honey, I just want to make sure that you're doing okay. I am worried about you being his partner for that project."

I lean back a bit and look down at my jeans, which aren't ripped because I don't like the feeling of it, and clear my throat. "Jae is just my partner, Zack." I look back up. "I'm going to be okay because there isn't anything wrong with my school relationship with him. Oh, he's also a friend." I nearly forgot that we became friends recently.

I don't see why he's so worried about us working on this project together. Nothing bad has come from an innocent friendship over a project. Jae doesn't like me and I don't like him. Well, romantically speaking we don't like each other in that way.

"I know he is your partner for this project, Cassie," he replies. "But I am worried that you two are going to end up getting too close to each other and you'll end up forgetting about me."

"You're kind of hard to forget," I say, placing my hands at my side. "You're my boyfriend so I just can't forget you. Just because I'm not all over you doesn't mean much at all. It just means I want to know you more and find that part of you that I want to hold onto for forever. You know, like a hidden gem I only can own?"

There has to be something to truly love about my boyfriend. I wouldn't know for sure if there is but I can only find out. Just like there is something to love about my friends despite them being total bullies at times. Jeanette has a lovable part to her. She did make me her friend suddenly after picking me out at random. I got a total makeover.

"You're too sweet," he says, sounding a bit dejected. I look back up at him. "Cassie, why can't you tell me that you love me truly?"

I shrug. "I don't know, Zack. Maybe it is because I haven't found out how I truly feel about you yet. You're my boyfriend but saying that you love someone is a pretty big deal. I can tell you that I love you but it wouldn't mean that I actually love you right now." If anything, I just love having a boyfriend. No one can question my sexuality and assume things about me. I have been assumed about before.

Zack sighs a bit and looks away. "I wish you could just tell me that you like me so much. At least that would my heart flutter."

He wants me to make his heart flutter? Just how am I supposed to do that when I don't love him yet? He's my boyfriend, sure, but that doesn't make him entitled to having my love. We didn't agree to date on the basis of finding love with each other. We agreed to date because Jeanette said we were perfect for each other.

"Hey, what is going on you crazy kids?"

I look over at the entrance way of the living room as my brother steps into it, carrying a tray. "We're just talking," I answer. "How about you join us and eat whatever you made with us?" I do not want to keep talking about love right now. Especially when the conversation is going to go nowhere and is featuring my project partner.