Chapter 4

-Chapter 4: Popularity and Prosperity

After a week of working on my project with Jae, I am finally getting used to his presence. I actually enjoy hanging out with him now and reading our book together. He is very funny and he loves asking questions about things. Who knew he would talk so much? I had no clue that he would.

I enter the school and looking around. I see Jae, who is waiting for me like he promised in his text message to me the other day. I smile at him and he steps toward me, spreading his arms out. I guess he wants a hug from me right now.

I hold out my arms and he gets closer, wrapping his arms around me a bit tightly. I'm starting to get used to how he is. He's actually one of the greatest friends I have in the world.

He pulls back, staring at me with a smile on his face. "I'm surprised you wanted to hug me, Cassie."

"I was going to tell you it was a bit too sudden but I figured that was a bit rude. Besides, we've hugged once before," I tell him, laughing a bit.

"If you would have said that, I would have sniffed myself because I would assume that I'm stinky then," he replies, touching his jacket.

"You smell good, Jae." I am used to his scent now.

"I just was wondering if I did or not," he says and he smiles even bigger than he did a few moments ago. "So, are we going to sit together at lunch and read our book or discuss what we're doing for our project or are you going to sit with your friends? 'International Airport Love' isn't going to wait forever."

'International Airport Love' is the most interesting story I have read and I'm finding a bit of myself in it. The main character is growing in a way that is most amazing. She starts off all shy and feeling down about herself and she turns into this confident person.

"I don't know yet." I look down. "I'm not sure if they want me sitting with them right now. I have been avoiding my cell phone when they text me to ask about what I'm doing or what I'm up to. I'm too busy focusing on what to do about us. We're in a predicament."

"I see. Well, it's okay if you can't sit with me at lunch. I'll just eat my lunch by myself and figure out some plans for our project. I think I can come up with some good ideas. I'm thinking about us doing a PowerPoint or some type of scenario game to get the point of the book across. I love how she has to paint trees." Jae looks down and pulls out the book from his backpack and he zips up the place he took it from.

"You made the easy to grab, huh?"

"It is an addicting book and I want to keep reading it."

"The main character is pretty relatable. Lacey is the most inspirational character I have read about so far," I state. "I pretty much feel like I'm in the story when I'm reading it."

"She is pretty relatable to me too but not when it comes to romance. I'm not into guys so yeah," Jae tells me, laughing a bit. "Anyways, Lacey is a great and we should keep looking up to her. I feel like you can learn a lot from her."

"I am learning a lot from her."

"Like?"

"Being more open about things. She's pretty outspoken right now in the story." We're not too far into it but she is starting to say her opinion a bit more.

"Yeah, she is."

"I wish I could be more like her in reality because I would be able to stop people from bullying you."

"I told you not to worry about me, Cassie. I can handle myself."

I sigh. "I know you can but we're friends. I want to be able to protect you."