Chapter 6

-Chapter 6: Plans and Priorities

"Hey, did you hear about the dance coming up?" Jeanette asks me and I look at her questioningly. "Why aren't you paying attention to me today? I swear you're thinking too much lately. Don't think about anything, just do things. If you keep thinking you will soon have a major headache."

I pick up my cheeseburger and look over at Abby. "Did you hear about the dance?" I take a bite of my burger and she nods her head. I chew on the burger for a moment and then swallow. "That makes me the only one at this table who hasn't. I've been so busy working on my project that I keep forgetting to be updated about things going on around the school." My eyes go back to Jeanette.

"I swear Ms. Snyder has it out for you," Jeanette says. She then takes a bite of her strawberry pop tart. "I have never had a teacher partner me up with someone I don't like. It must suck being partners with that shemale. I would die of embarrassment if I was you."

"Hey, don't say that kind of slur around here. That isn't appropriate," I state. "It is offensive to refer to someone in such a degrading way. Anyways, she doesn't have it out for me. She's just wanting everyone to branch out a bit for this project."

Jeanette swallows, giving me a look of disbelief. "Are you the word police now, Cassie? Seriously, you shouldn't worry about what people say about Jae. He's nothing more than a pretty boy that wishes to be a woman. No self-respecting man would dress the way he does."

"He is just into fashion. That's not a crime."

"Of course it isn't, Cassie. However, that is what gay people are for."

I look away, holding my tongue. I am just going to keep my mouth shut because it isn't going to change her mind. I can't change the ignorant. Besides, I'm not much better than she is. I judged Jae before I knew him and I act like I'm above the rest by being popular.

"So, Cassie, are you going to take your boyfriend to the dance?" Abby asks me, changing the subject. "You should bring him."

I shrug my shoulders. "I haven't really talked to him about that yet. Should I bring it up to him?"

Honestly, I'm not sure if I want to bring my own boyfriend to the dance. He doesn't seem like he's the right fit for it. He's kind of a huge jerk when it comes to other guys being in my life. I don't even think he likes my brother being in my life. The attention has to be all over him, Zack.

"You should totally ask him!" Jeanette exclaims, looking at me with her softest stare possible. Her eyes are sparkly and her lips are bubblegum pink. "If you don't, I'm going to be so sad! I am going to invite a handsome guy as my date for the dance."

"Jeannette is hooking me up for the dance," Abby tells me. "Let's all bring our handsome guys with us and make the others jealous."

Do I really want everyone to be jealous of me just because I have a hot guy as my date? I rather have everyone jealous over me being kind and inviting someone worth inviting. However, I doubt the person I want to invite to go with me wants to go to the dance with me.

I place my cheeseburger down. "Well, I should go and throw away my lunch now. I need to get over to Jae for a moment because I need to talk to him about our project." I get out of my spot and stand up fully, finally getting my legs up from the tight space.

"You should have begged for a new partner," Jeanette states. "Anyways, have fun dealing with him. Tell him that I said to wear less makeup, okay?"

"Jeanette, that's mean," I reply. "I can careless how much makeup he is wearing when my grade is on the line. Now, if he takes my makeup we'll have a problem."