Chapter 2

-Chapter 2: Projects and Partnerships

Ms. Snyder closes the door behind her as the bell rings, signaling for class to finally begin. How long have I been sitting here? I rushed here after lunch so I can be a bit early in order to get myself situated. I wonder where Jae is sitting at in this room.

I turn and look behind me, meeting Jae's sparkly face. Hey, there he is! Who knew he actually was sitting behind me this entire time? I must be very oblivious to his existence. Then again, I only pay attention to things that need my attention.

Jae smiles a bit, looking slightly nervous. Is he nervous around me because of early? He shouldn't worry about that at all! Nothing happened at all.

I look back at Ms. Snyder as she looks around the room, smiling. She seems very happy today. She's up to something isn't she? She usually isn't looking at us with a huge grin on her face.

"Hello," she says, grinning some more. She's sort of creeping me out right now. "We're going to be doing something for the rest of the trimester, okay? You're going to be working on a presentation with another student about a book you both pick to read. When you pick the book, it has to be the same one. You can't do one presentation about two different books."

What? I don't want to do that! That sounds boring! At least it'll be a book that we can pick. I would hate getting assigned a boring book that is just hard to get through.

"You will be working with the person sitting behind you. For those who are in the back, you will work with the person beside you."

"Cassie is going to be Jae's partner!" Someone exclaims, sounding shock. Well...this must be fate.

"Everyone, stay calm! It is just a project!" Ms. Snyder shouts. "Now, get to work! Brainstorm with your partner and keep your voices down. It isn't time for gossip, okay?"

I turn and look at Jae, smiling. "I guess it is fate," I say.

"What is?"

"Us bumping into each other early and becoming partners in this class," I answer. "Do you agree that it is fate for us to be working together like this?"

He nods his head a bit, looking a bit shy. Is he really intimidated by me because I'm popular? He shouldn't be. I'm not going to do anything to him. I'm not like Jeanette. Sure, I should stop her and say something but I really don't want to end up alone.

"So, Jae, what kind of book do you want to read for our project?"

"Uh..." He closes his eyes, trying to think of something.

"You know what? How about we just brainstorm instead of deciding something instantly?"

He opens his eyes and nods. "Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. We shouldn't decide on something instantly," he answers. "So, Cassie, are you really okay with working with me?"

"I'm okay with it. Why?"

"Won't it hurt you?"

"How would it hurt me?"

"Because you're popular and I'm the least popular boy in school."

I guess it would hurt me a bit to be seen around Jae but it shouldn't be a problem because he's my partner for this class. How could anyone twist that into something else? It isn't like we're going out on a date. I'm already dating and everyone knows that.

"I don't think it'll hurt me. Don't worry." I smile. "I have a boyfriend anyways so no one should end up thinking that I'm into you."

"Oh, that is a good thing then," he replies, smiling back. "I have a suggestion for a book. Do you know that famous author who wrote a novel based on what happened to her at an airport?"