Chapter Seven

Zac sat at the kitchen table, drinking a coffee and working on the band's website. He was tired after the late night he had with Abby, but he had a lot of work to do and figured he'd get an early start on it. He was having a hard time sleeping, anyway. Being alone in his bed after what happened between he and Abby was difficult. He was still trying to process everything, it was confusing, yet amazing. He wasn't sure what to think.

"Good morning!" Abby said cheerfully, joining him in the kitchen.

She was wearing a ripped up pair of light denim capri's, a black tank top, and simple black flats. Her hair was tied into a braid, hanging over one shoulder. The entire look was so simple and easy going, but somehow she managed to look as though it took her hours to get ready.

"Mornin." He responded, sipping on his coffee.

He wanted to go to her, to hold her and to greet her with a kiss. It felt weird not to after what had transpired between them the night before. Though, he knew that was likely against some sort of unwritten rule in their new agreement. The few times he had fooled around with someone he wasn't in a relationship with, it was with someone he had no attachments to. Abby was someone he deeply cared about, she was his best friend, and that made the whole situation so much different. Even though what they did was driven by satisfying their human needs, their emotional connection was so strong, it meant more than that.

"Any plans for the day?" She asked him, pouring herself a cup of coffee and joining him at the table.

"I'm super busy. I've gotta do a bunch of stuff for the website, then head to the studio for a few hours, and then I've got this family dinner thing at my parents house. I'll probably be home late."

"That's okay! I'm gonna meet up with Liam after work so I likely won't be home until later as well."

Zac raised an eyebrow. "Liam?"

"Yeah, he texted me this morning, said he missed hanging out with me. We're gonna grab a bite to eat, I think."

"Cool." Zac nodded. It took him a moment to identify how he was feeling. Jealous. He was definitely jealous.

Abby checked her watch, chugging back her coffee quickly and standing.

"I'd better get going." She said. "My shift starts in twenty minutes."

She bent down and gave Zac a quick peck on the cheek. He breathed in the scent of coconut and smiled.

"Have a good day." He waved as she headed for the door.

"You to. Tell your family I say hey."

Then she was gone. He missed her already.

***

"So how have you been?" Liam asked later that night, taking a bite of his pad Thai.

"Good." Abby responded through a mouthful of curry. "Same 'ol, same 'ol, really."

"Work's been good?"

"As good as a part time job can be, I guess. I'm only there about twelve hours a week lately. I really don't need the money so Kelly thinks I'm crazy for being there at all, but I like getting out around people every now and then. Kelly works all day Monday through Friday and you're at the studio a lot...and come the fall when the guys are gone for like, two months, what would I do with my time?"

"I get that." Liam nodded. "Maybe once you meet more people you could cut back your hours even more."

"I don't mind working, really. And I really have zero desire to meet more people, either. I have more friends in Tulsa after just a few months than I did after a life time in Portland. My ex kept me kind of cooped up. All I ever did was work and come home, but I worked a lot more hours."