Chapter Sixteen

When they arrived back in Tulsa that weekend, Abby was on cloud nine. After the shows in Toronto and Ottawa, the girls had joined the band for two more Canadian dates in Montreal and Halifax. Though Zac and Abby hadn't had the chance for any more alone time, she was still over the moon about the entire experience. The bus was cramped and way less than private or comfortable, but it was an experience she never in a million years would have dreamed of having and it had been, hands down, the best week of her life.

Liam was at the airport waiting to pick Abby and Kelly up, as promised. However as soon as they settled into his car, their cheery dispositions were squashed by the scowl on his face and his white-knuckle grip on the steering wheel as he drove them toward their homes.

"So uh, Liam...I kinda thought you might be happy to see us." Kelly awkwardly joked after a few minutes of silence.

"I am." He nodded. "I just...um..."

"What's the matter?" Abby asked, worry washing over her when she saw him glancing her way.

"I've been stopping by your houses...you know, to make sure everything was okay while you were away..." He began.

"That's sweet of you." Kelly smiled.

"And uh...Abs, a few times when I drove by, there was this guy roaming around on your property."

"What?"

"Yeah. I saw him knocking at the door, looking in windows, sitting on your front step. So today I stopped and confronted him."

"And?" Abby's palms began to sweat in anticipation.

"Say's his name is Adam."

"Adam?" Kelly exclaimed. "As in her ex?"

"So he told me." Liam nodded.

"What the hell is he doing in Tulsa? What does he want?" Abby questioned, feeling confused and slightly sick.

"He wouldn't say. He got all up in my face when I asked him what he was doing at your house. That guy is a real asshole."

"He wasn't always that way." Abby sighed. "This makes no sense. I haven't seen him in a year. And he's been creeping around for a few days?"

"I didn't want to ruin your trip and tell you while you were away. But yeah. The past three days. He asked me where you were and when you'd be back, but I wouldn't tell him anything. I tried to get rid of him, Abs..."

"It's okay." Abby half smiled. "Thank you for trying."

As they pulled on to her street, she could see a dark figure sitting on her steps and she could only guess who it was. As they got closer, her assumptions were proven to be correct. It was Adam. He sat there in his black ripped up skinny jeans, faded old band tee shirt and Chuck Taylor's. His dark hair hung in his eyes, tattoos trailing up his arms. When he saw the car pull into the driveway he stood, his tall, lean body shifting from one foot to another as Abby climbed from the car.

"Do you want us to come with you?" Kelly whispered from inside the car.

"No, go. I'll be okay."

"Are you sure, Abs?" Liam asked, worry written all over his face.

"I can handle it, guys. I've known him since I was a teenager, he's a dick but nothing to be scared of."

She gave a forced smile to her friends as they shrugged and apprehensively drove away, leaving her alone with Adam and with nothing left to do but turn around and face him.

He smiled at her but said nothing as she whipped around and eyed him suspiciously. Unsure of what else to do, she finally spoke.

"Well, do you wanna come in?"